• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Cuff Links in Photos

Apples555

Reaction score
What exactly happened with cuff links and associated french cuff shirts between the world wars? Who were they associated with? For what occasions were they worn and in what manner?

The image that comes to mind is Hitler with his gaudy double breasted military jacket, and not much else than the occasional banker and the traditional British monarchy. Hitler particularly seemed to wear them for everything. What are some examples of individuals from the early twentieth century that happened to wear french cuffed shirts, and for what occasions did they wear them?

I know that the Duke of Windsor hated them and they were not a 'modern' look.

Maybe I should ask this in a history class instead.

BXpress

Reaction score
I have no source for this but it seems likely that they were quite popular with the Bohemians (1920s Hipsters) once Art Deco and Art Nouveau started kicking off. One indication is that even with cheap ones no mark/ fake gold, you would still get Guilloche and otherwise tasteful patterns/materials. Another indication could be that they were quite widespread since you can find them everywhere on the net to this day.

There is nothing better than vintage cufflinks. They are often cheap, not always in perfect condition, but still much more tasteful and beautiful than the plastic looking new ones of today. I'd always go for vintage before buying cheap (40-50 bucks) new ones. You can recognize them by signs of oxidation or a very specific close mechanism. The T-bar on them is often different to the ones of today. Another example are snap cufflinks, virtually no one makes them today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads