1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

historical/zoological question that is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Sep 7, 2012.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am always amazed at the level of wide ranging education here, so I am throwing out a question, and if anybody can answer it please do.

what lived on the pampas in the period after early humans came to south america, but before europeans did?

the pampas are a huge, rich grassfield, that for the past 200 years have fed millions of cattle that have then fed millions of people. the potential was there for grazing animals to utilize that resource.

as far as I can see, around the time of the early humans hitting the region, the animals that fed off the pampas died off.

while there were large herebavores living at higher elevation, none seemed to have moved to the pampas, leaving them, as far as I can see, more or less empty.

anyway - I can't seem to find anything that addresses this question. I find it hard to believe that in 20,000 years or so, at the very least 10,000 years, nothing adapted to eat all that grass.

2. nootje

nootje Senior member

Pampatheres, horses, giant sloth and The occasional mastodont If imright... Pampatheres was The first to go i think...

3. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I believe they've actually found camels and elephants as well.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

^ thanks - but these were all extinct within a few thousand years of the first peoples getting to the land, and then nothing, as far as I can see, took over until the Europeans introduced cattle. I am wondering what lived in that land in the interum, if anything. it seems strange that nothing filled that gap.

thanks

5. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

The wikipedia entry on the Pampas deer implies that there wasn't much else (aside from rheas) when the Euros came: