• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hilarity

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I might just be ignorant of China's history, but check out the anti-African sentiment in China twenty-thirty years ago that really surprised me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing...rican_protests

In a nutshell, the Chinese government had granted scholarships and stipends to China-friendly African countries in a bid for third-world unity. The part that cracks me up the most are the lines: "As well as resentment about the larger stipends given to African students, hostility from Chinese students towards Africans also flared up when there was contact between African men and Chinese women. In an incident in Shanghai in 1979, African students were attacked after playing loud music and consorting with Chinese women. These clashes became more common during the 1980s and sometimes led to arrests and deportations of African students."

"300 Chinese students, spurred by false rumors that a Chinese man had been killed by the Africans, broke into and set about destroying the Africans' dormitories, shouting slogans such as 'Kill the black devils!'"

I'm trying to picture these black students playing loud rap (or precursors to rap, anyway) in the middle of '80s Beijing, consorting with (probably fugly) Chinese women, and getting attacked by Chinese (male) students. If any of you have ever had the bad luck of meeting FOBs straight from China (being Chinese myself, this is unavoidable for me), most of them are insidious, arrogant, and generally unpleasant to be around. The immigrant students in particular are hard to tolerate, in my experience.

With this in mind, can you picture the yellow-on-black violence?? Guys dressed in Mao-field jackets attacking black guys (I can only imagine what African immigrants chose to wear in China twenty years ago)! Do you think it was like pipes and chains versus kung fu??
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents were in Shanghai during that period ('70s) and they recall seeing African exchange students who were mostly the progeny of high officials, nobility, and the general upper classes of whatever third-world African nation were existing at that time.

tad

Reaction score
I don't see what's funny about racially-motivated violence. Yeah, a bunch of Asian guys attacking a bunch of black guys is something you'd never see in the U.S., and maybe it would make for a funny scene in a movie if handled lightly, but in actuality that's probably some scary ****.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
If any of you have ever had the bad luck of meeting FOBs straight from China (being Chinese myself, this is unavoidable for me), most of them are insidious, arrogant, and generally unpleasant to be around. The immigrant students in particular are hard to tolerate, in my experience.
But you're a delight, I'm sure.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
My parents were in Shanghai during that period ('70s) and they recall seeing African exchange students who were mostly the progeny of high officials, nobility, and the general upper classes of whatever third-world African nation were existing at that time.
Only the wealthy go on exchange programs like these. In Africa, this generally means civil servants (who embezzle like it's their job, and I guess it is).

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tad
I don't see what's funny about racially-motivated violence. Yeah, a bunch of Asian guys attacking a bunch of black guys is something you'd never see in the U.S., and maybe it would make for a funny scene in a movie if handled lightly, but in actuality that's probably some scary ****.

You really don't see the humor? Come on, even Larry David mines humor out of the Holocaust. If I had been involved in these attacks, obviously I'd have a very different opinion. As an impartial observer looking back, I can't help but laugh at the silliness of it all.

Originally Posted by Quirk
But you're a delight, I'm sure.

Delightful enough to have four black friends (three males and one female)
devil.gif

By the way, my opinion of these immigrant students isn't anything new. Kent Wang himself postulated that, because they're raised in such an academic cutthroat culture of testing and more testing, their social skills leave much to be desired. I think you will find that most Asian Americans agree.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Delightful enough to have four black friends (three males and one female)

I can't believe he actually used this defense...

Is this really suprising? The black man has been hated, feared, and subject to unspeakable degradation on every continent on the face of the earth, including Africa, for centuries.

BTW, for more, ahem, colorful responses, I would try posting in CEPM. They almost write themselves, really...

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I can't believe he actually used this defense...

Is this really suprising? The black man has been hated, feared, and subject to unspeakable degradation on every continent on the face of the earth, including Africa, for centuries.

BTW, for more, ahem, colorful responses, I would try posting in CEPM. They almost write themselves, really...

Did you really take offense to that? Please accept my apologies. I thought my little devil emoticon made it clear I was joking, as this is a favored defense for people that claim not to be racist but actually are. Just check out www.blackpeopleloveus.com for a more extreme satire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics