• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiring a nanny

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife will be going back to work in the fall after 6 months off with our daughter. We are considering a nanny or nanny share and hope to avoid daycare. Any advice on what to look for, common pitfalls, etc? Our apartment isn't large enough, or we'd consider an au pair.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm looking for a new job!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
My wife will be going back to work in the fall after 6 months off with our daughter. We are considering a nanny or nanny share and hope to avoid daycare. Any advice on what to look for, common pitfalls, etc? Our apartment isn't large enough, or we'd consider an au pair.

Just curious why a nanny over day care? We have our two in a great private day care (very small) but because we get a call to pick them up everytime one of them farts funny, I'd consider having someone stay at home with them instead if we have to.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had success with a site called sittercity.com. They have reviews and fairly in-depth profiles (including background checks) on nannies. You can post an ad for like $35 and nannies will reach out to you. That's a quick way to eliminate some undesirables.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone who uses this service in your area? I think that if you go through a nanny agency that you would want to A LOT of referral checking.

I'm fortunate that my mom looks after mine during the days but if I didn't have that option I'd probably go the nanny route as well. My biggest fear would be that there's no one around to supervise the nanny like in a daycare where everything is open.

I googled "nanny service reviews" and a lot of results turned up. You may want to start with the online reviews and then select a few agencies to visit in person.

Good luck.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
i'm looking for a new job!

I don't need you influencing my daughter to become a cigar-smoking drunk. She will learn all she needs to know from me, tyvm.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Just curious why a nanny over day care? We have our two in a great private day care (very small) but because we get a call to pick them up everytime one of them farts funny, I'd consider having someone stay at home with them instead if we have to.

We are very hesitant to choose daycare, but maybe we are being overprotective first time parents. Chain daycares are absolutely off the list. There are other decent private places, but waiting lists are long.

Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I've had success with a site called sittercity.com. They have reviews and fairly in-depth profiles (including background checks) on nannies. You can post an ad for like $35 and nannies will reach out to you. That's a quick way to eliminate some undesirables.

Thanks, will check it out.

Originally Posted by tricky
Do you know anyone who uses this service in your area? I think that if you go through a nanny agency that you would want to A LOT of referral checking.

I'm fortunate that my mom looks after mine during the days but if I didn't have that option I'd probably go the nanny route as well. My biggest fear would be that there's no one around to supervise the nanny like in a daycare where everything is open.

I googled "nanny service reviews" and a lot of results turned up. You may want to start with the online reviews and then select a few agencies to visit in person.

Good luck.

Not sure of anyone in the area - we are fairly new to where we are, so still working that out. A lot of the people we know through our respective jobs have older children. We have no family in the area, unfortunately.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yo galt, there is a nice place i think near park heights ave and northern pkwy next to a liquor store and laundromat. true story

but on the serious my wife never did the nanny thing. private day care only, groups of six or seven kids with maybe 2 or 3 ladies watching them. get in touch with young couples in your area. get on the phone. i know my wife spends hours on the phone each year for this. it will take some time but its worth it. wait till kid #3 you make 'em hitch a ride to day care
lol8[1].gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I don't need you influencing my daughter to become a cigar-smoking drunk. She will learn all she needs to know from me, tyvm.
yeah. hanging around me may stunt all intellectual development for a few years.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife and I are putting our daughter in day-care, but we've agreed that if we have a second child while the first is still in day care, we're hiring a nanny. In a lot of cities having a nanny is as cheap or cheaper than putting two kids in day care.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
My wife and I are putting our daughter in day-care, but we've agreed that if we have a second child while the first is still in day care, we're hiring a nanny. In a lot of cities having a nanny is as cheap or cheaper than putting two kids in day care.

I think thats the case here, but we really do LOVE where our kids are. We skipped the wait list because we were close friends with a friend of the day care owner. My daughter is growing leaps and bounds emotionally, socially as well as academically (they have lessons there and actually teach these kids things so that they are prepared when they get to pre-k) but it costs us an arm and a leg. Imagine all the Ercoles stuff I can get when my two are in public school! LOL.

Good luck man...its some ride!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think thats the case here, but we really do LOVE where our kids are. We skipped the wait list because we were close friends with a friend of the day care owner. My daughter is growing leaps and bounds emotionally, socially as well as academically (they have lessons there and actually teach these kids things so that they are prepared when they get to pre-k) but it costs us an arm and a leg. Imagine all the Ercoles stuff I can get when my two are in public school! LOL. Good luck man...its some ride!
What the hell? Are they in pre-pre K now? Is Pre-K graded and competitive there? If K is 5, pre k must be 4 and so you're talking about kids no older than 3 right? What are they graded on, poop: In the bowl, not the mouth and social development 210: How-to-not-poke-Johhny-in-the-eye-with-a-sharp-stick?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we've had two. the first was pretty bad, she seemed great, but she would take the kid to the park, stand 20 feet away and smoke.

the second was great, we used her for something like 3 years. she was mexican, and lets say I'd better not run for public office. but she would also do laundry and clean. extremely helpful. we found the first through an ad, the second from friends. when we didn't need the second one any more, we helped find her a job with friends of ours.

my boss uses au pairs from germany and poland, she loves the service. but they stay for one year and leave.

Bradden

Reaction score
I currently have a nanny take care of my kids. The decision was based on convenience and cost. My nanny costs about the same as having two kids in daycare, I have three kids my son is 3 1/2 and my daughters are 1 1/2. Cost wise I save about $1000 per month using the nanny. Convenience is my daycare is at my home, I do not have to get them all ready and get them to daycare (Like herding cats) also I have some latitude if I am late at work. I also remember when my son was in daycare I paid for him to be home half of the time since a new bug would go through the daycare every other week. We made a leap of faith to trust a stranger in our home (With the help of an agency) and so far (touch wood) things have worked out.

The bad, I find that my son was more socialized with daycare and his vocabulary was better than my daughters. You will also find it akward with someone living or spending most of their day at your home, little things, often petty, but they can get under your skin. I also worry that my nanny can just put in her notice or just f off and there is not much I can really do about it.

All in all I can't wait for all my kids to be in school, I will have my entire house back as well as save the equivalent of a mortgage payment each month.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had french nannies. One was a lesbian that brushed her hair up and took showers with her friend. I was too young to really get that most of it and it's one of the greater disappointments in my life. Maybe that's why i'm obsessed with lesbians to this day. The one that followed put my head through the drywall. Oh and we had one in between that took our car when we were on vacation and crashed it. She wasn't supposed to take the car.

So... that's like 1 for 3. Choose carefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics