• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hipsterdom--Past & Future.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was reading a 1959 issue of Horizon magazine--which for those who don't know was an influential American cultural magazine from the midcentury--and one of the articles concerned "nonconformism" or rather, as ironically titled, "The Dangers of Nonconformism".

In it, the author discusses how "the nonconformist" loathes and reviles at instant coffee, but has no qualms about drinking an espresso and other similar things.

In fact, the article may be half a century old, but the list of verboten articles seems hardly dated: conservative politics, processed foodstuffs, pop music, mainstream clothing and culture, etc.

Therein, the contemporary vitriol reserved for young hipster-things seems particularly insipid and ignorant.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the article online or can you scan it? I plan to get it tattooed on my chest.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...the more things change....

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hazard a guess that the notion of young "hipsters" began in the 1920s with the Flapper generation and the Bright Young Things of England, etc. and etc.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Therein, the contemporary vitriol reserved for young hipster-things seems particularly insipid and ignorant.

What's so insipid about it? The same kind of people have been and always will be annoying, forever and always.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This coming from someone who makes music at home.
I'm sorry. What did you say? I can't hear you over the HOT FIYAH coming from my BX5s.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading a 1959 issue of Horizon magazine--which for those who don't know was an influential American cultural magazine from the midcentury--and one of the articles concerned "nonconformism" or rather, as ironically titled, "The Dangers of Nonconformism".

In it, the author discusses how "the nonconformist" loathes and reviles at instant coffee, but has no qualms about drinking an espresso and other similar things.

In fact, the article may be half a century old, but the list of verboten articles seems hardly dated: conservative politics, processed foodstuffs, pop music, mainstream clothing and culture, etc.

Sounds like you're confusing counterculture for hipsterdom.

What defines the modern hipster in particular is an appreciation for irony expressed in the appropriation of cultural objects that are now gauche, e.g. ironic beard, ironic fixed-gear bike, ironic PBR, ironic trucker hat.

I suppose there are other things but that's what distinguishes the modern-day variant from his flapper/beatnik/hippie/etc. contemporaries.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The word "hipster" dates to the jazz scene of the 1940s. It meant someone who knows what is going on, someone who is "hip." Hip-cat / hep-cat / hipster --> all the same thing, basically. http://books.google.com/books?id=t7KmC7-AHmEC&pg=PA337 And of course there was irony in the 1920s. http://books.google.com/books?id=kJ5aAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA238 I remember the whole hipster thing starting in the mid- and late 1990s. I do not know why the word "hipster" returned to deride those young people, and I don't know why it has stuck.

milosh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Is the article online or can you scan it? I plan to get it tattooed on my chest.

I LOL'd.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Sounds like you're confusing counterculture for hipsterdom.

What defines the modern hipster in particular is an appreciation for irony expressed in the appropriation of cultural objects that are now gauche, e.g. ironic beard, ironic fixed-gear bike, ironic PBR, ironic trucker hat.

I suppose there are other things but that's what distinguishes the modern-day variant from his flapper/beatnik/hippie/etc. contemporaries.

In other words, they are idiots.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
It's funny when the old people (or clueless youngsters) still talk about hipsters from like 2001. Some seriously out of touch people here on SF.

Also, think that the PBR thing is largely because how cheap it is. Depending on what city you're in you'll see people that most you guys would call hipsters drinking natty light, narragansett, PBR, old milwaukee and some others depending on region. Largely depends on what's cheapest at bars. Most of the time "Bros" and "hipsters" in young areas are drinking the same beer because of the cost.

Fixed gear bicycles are a pretty different breed. There are a lot of people who are just really into those simple bikes and it's pretty much its own culture these days. Also, i thought the trucker hat phenomenon was an Aston Kutcher thing? Personally growing up in the 00s, i saw it on way more Bros, frat guys and american eagle/abercrombie people than what many here would consider hipsters.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Past: who gives a ****
Future: can we kill them?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Also, i thought the trucker hat phenomenon was an Aston Kutcher thing?
Ironic trucker hat pre-dates That 70's Show. They were midwestern thrift-store staple. Farmers received them by the dozens from seed and equipment companies, and you could always find new ones for a dollar or two. I never wore one but knew plenty of smartasses who did. PBR got a leg up in the young educated would-be hipster crowd from Dennis Hopper and Blue Velvet, which everyone watched again & again on VHS years after its release. If you were browsing the $5 twelve-packs in the early 90s, that is what you remembered when PBR was an option. Stroh's and Old Milwaukee had nothing on it.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics