• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hipster explanation needed

*intellect*

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wangvicous
Smoke menthols, drink pbr/40's or some other cheap liquor, poor, no real career goals, and like to bring back things from their childhood(ie. kickball, rollerblading etc.).

facepalm.gif

phildo

Reaction score
hipsters are all about drone/noise/electronic these days, the only people you'll see at a fleet foxes or arcade fire concert are 18 year old wannabees.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool."

Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

Originally Posted by Synthese
This could be the best post in the history of sf. Needs more Badieu, discussion of empty signifiers, and possibly a discussion of sartrian mauvaise foie. Then it will be on point, and totally meta-literal.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Assembling diverse cultural fragments into a collage that voids them of their original context is a creative endeavour too. Honestly that's what I believe hipsters are; western youth who make collage and flatten content (think Murakami's superflat which is just a chain of signification without stable ideological meaning).

******* hipsters.

I got called a hipster yesterday for wearing Lanvins. That suggests to me that there is no longer a definition of hipster.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hipsters believe they are making their own, unique statement by being ironic and opposing many mainstream trends involving fashion and music. However, they are not unique at all. They are all alike. As easy to spot as a yuppie in a BMW.

bigboy

Reaction score

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttman
I think being a hipster used to mean using irony as an ethos but now its just a vague insult people throw at anyone they don't know that seems threateningly confident and alternative.

Even the irony thing doesn't seem to hold up. If there are people who solely do things for ironic reasons, there can't be that many. It seems like it would be a pretty depressing life to have no real interests.

Nowadays most of the people I hear called hipsters seem to be pretty serious about the non-mainstream music that they like.

In conclusion, its just bullshit. I, for one, would just like to move on.

As much fun as bullshit pop sociology is, this post is very good. very accurate.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
(think Murakami's superflat which is just a chain of signification without stable ideological meaning).

How can you stand to face yourself in the mirror?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
people pretty much never understand the meaning of the subcultures they apply to others

So true.

Also, I don't really understand the obsessive hatred of hipsters that so many people have... there are far more annoying groups out there.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
facepalm.gif
lulz yup you're right to both, badiou and not bad liver. blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol perhaps the only comment I would make is that murakami's empty signifiers and discussion of the superflat often seem to touch on nihilism, and since we've all read zizek, we know that hipsterism can't be the absence of ideology - unstable, maybe, particularly since "hipsterism" is a typically adolescent phenomenon; although in this case collage becomes a fundamentally stable platform for ideology. It's not so much flattened as absorbed like cultural katamari; more like post-post-modernism - collage becomes irony, taken seriously.

http://generationbubble.com/2009/10/...a-translation/

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
People in the 60s and 70s were saying "******* hippies" about people who probably weren't hippies at all. Or people can't separate the extreme side of a sub-culture from the broader more abundant. I dunno. it mostly reeks of insecurity/jealousy to me which seems accurate from some of the people i've seen get so passionate about it in the past year on forums and irl On that video, it's stupid as ****. Then again, i think a lot of the avant garde performance art scene from previous eras is pretty lame. I like the historical study of the russian futurists and stuff like that but if i was in russia in the 1910s and 20s and saw maiakovsky standing on a soap box in one of his weird outfits shouting nonsense or people telling me about throwing stuff off the ship of modernity i'd probably say "pass" then too. Although, i'd probably get executed for doing so
frown.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc
This youtube video.
I'm so confused. Am I not hip enough to get it?
Originally Posted by bigboy
Seriously..no one has commented on this video yet. She has beans in her cooter.
eh.gif

Spaghettios, give her some credit she's not so low as to use beans

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads