1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

hipster explanation needed

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by huggi, Aug 14, 2010.

1. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool." Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

2. tooshay

tooshay Senior member

Gawker recently introduced the alternative "fauxhemian".

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool."

Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

This could be the best post in the history of sf. Needs more Badieu, discussion of empty signifiers, and possibly a discussion of sartrian mauvaise foie. Then it will be on point, and totally meta-literal.

4. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool." Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.
    Very good, indeed the hipster is one who diverts from the mainstream in an almost knee-jerk fashion in order to achieve the largely undefined status of 'authenticity'. Their use of irony fits in well with the snarky superiority complex they have over the world as a result of being 'authentic', that they use irony as if to say "I am so cool that I need only present myself as being uncool to show how cool I am".

6. buttman

buttman Member

I think being a hipster used to mean using irony as an ethos but now its just a vague insult people throw at anyone they don't know that seems threateningly confident and alternative.

Even the irony thing doesn't seem to hold up. If there are people who solely do things for ironic reasons, there can't be that many. It seems like it would be a pretty depressing life to have no real interests.

Nowadays most of the people I hear called hipsters seem to be pretty serious about the non-mainstream music that they like.

In conclusion, its just bullshit. I, for one, would just like to move on.

7. buttman

buttman Member

Aren't authenticity and irony opposites? I thought you can only achieve authenticity through sincerity (e.i. wearing an item of clothing for its intended purpose).

8. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Authenticity is a quality while irony in this case is a vessel, so they can be authentic in their interests while expressing them through the use of irony, though the irony in itself is not authentic or inauthentic as it is just a means to an end.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool."

Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

Assembling diverse cultural fragments into a collage that voids them of their original context is a creative endeavour too. Honestly that's what I believe hipsters are; western youth who make collage and flatten content (think Murakami's superflat which is just a chain of signification without stable ideological meaning).

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

This could be the best post in the history of sf. Needs more Badieu, discussion of empty signifiers, and possibly a discussion of sartrian mauvaise foie. Then it will be on point, and totally meta-literal.

Do you mean Bourdieu or Badiou (both excellent but quite distinct thinkers).

Oh and you meant "foi" (faith) not "foie" (liver).

11. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

I am a hipster.

STALKIN YOU AT VIRGINFEST BROSEF

12. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Honestly this is true maybe a sixth of the time. There are the "hipsters" who do ironic things because they're supposed to be clever and cool, but I don't think that's most of them. There's a huge contingent of hipsters who appropriate old and storied technology, music, and clothing as part of an overarching aspirational lifestyle where, ideally, you go work in a creative or creative-support field at an ethical or self-owned company, then you go to a globally and ethnically diverse party at a repurposed living space or warehouse, meet some sort of winsome inscrutable muse (male or female), and wake up in your dustily lit loft apartment while Belle & Sebastian's "Winter Wooskie" plays on repeat. They tend to be the vintage photoeffects and typography people. That actually is a full subculture of sorts. And then there are tons of people who like some of the music or fashion beloved by either group (which is anything from thrifted suits to APC, and anything from Sleigh Bells to Fleet Foxes), but are frightened by the idea that other people and corporations can influence their identity, so they intensely dislike being called hipsters.

13. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

There are two ways to tell a hipstar on SF:

1) They get angry when you call them a hipster
    2) They volunteer the information that they are hipsters (usually not real hipsters though)

14. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

This hipster nonsense has to stop.

15. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

16. *intellect*

*intellect* Well-Known Member

hippie + indie + slight bit of rock

17. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Words +

Holy shit, an intelligent post on SF from someone who isn't Fuuma.

Although, a lot of the things that hipsters re-appropriate are things that were never considered "cool" (despite their status of authenticity) even when/if the were popular. i.e. bicycles, bow ties, jorts, etc. Every subculture re appropriates bits of culture to some degree, but for hipsters it's a subversive show of power to make cool something that never had a popular appeal in the first place. By taking something that's not cool in the first place they show a rejection of mainstream values, but by turning it into a symbol of the "in group" the value of that symbol completely changes. This aggregation of trends and non-trends is like a meta analysis of past subcultures, which is kind of funny considering meta analysis is in a way a trend itself.

18. Lane

Lane Senior member

this thread is everything I hate about hipsters put in such an eloquent way.

19. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

[​IMG]
    i want to like this but i don't know magician and i wave our hipster flags high. join us Also, god it's depressing watching people get so irritated/jealous/philisophical/insecure about whatever constitutes a hipster in a bunch of threads

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Idk, "hipster" kinda varies on the region. When one person calls another a hipster though, there's usually a guaranteed set of characteristics. 1, hipster is thin(ner). 2, into (possibly misguided) style. 3, likely a narcissist to some degree, from a casual fan of myspace self-portraiture to, y'know, the raving pathological narcissists, like those girls who stab others in the back and climb the social ladder with religious fervor.
    Thank god for #3, I is not hipster.
    If you opened this thread for more than 2 seconds you are a hipster.
    [​IMG]
    If you like Helvetica and vintage photo effects, then you are a hipster.
    [​IMG]
    Aren't authenticity and irony opposites? I thought you can only achieve authenticity through sincerity (e.i. wearing an item of clothing for its intended purpose).
    Obviously the irony is that the hipster authenticity is based on hipster irony to achieve a authentic irony made up of ironic authenticity. Hipsters love Peter Gabriel. Hipster girls are often rather hot, so long as they aren't fat. Hipsters, while annoying, are nothing compared to straight edges.