• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hiltl or Ballin: Which to keep?

Nobody Important

Reaction score
Before Christmas I decided it was time to upgrade my work wardrobe from cotton chinos to wool pants. So I got in on an alignment-of-the-planets combination of coupons at Sierra Trading Post and ordered six pair -- three Hiltl and three "Rendezvous by Ballin", each in khaki, olive and charcoal.

Everything fits, at least after I exchanged the Ballins for the next size down. Everything fits fine, the Hiltl are a tad slimmer through the hips than I'm used to, but not in a bad way. But I don't think I need six pair of new wool trousers, so one of the brands is going back. My question: Which one? Obviously you can't judge fit. But I'm still learning about quality in clothing, so I hope some more experienced than I can tell me whether I'm getting better quality for the price with the Hiltl or the Ballin. The Hiltls were made in Romania. Theoretical retail is $250, right now they're nearly sold out at $99 (less the ubiquitous coupons) at STP. I got them for $45 each. The Rendezvous by Ballin are made in China, theoretical retail is $135, currently selling for $50, I got them for $23.

Which ones to keep? Bear in mind that the Hiltl will need to be hemmed, which raises the cost a couple of bucks. The Ballin are pre-hemmed.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can speak to the other brand but the Ballin trousers I bought years ago at Nordstroms wore like iron. Incredible quality for the price (then about $150 a pair).

Sebastian

Reaction score
I can only speak fo the Hilts trousers.
Those are fantastic pants, easy my favorite ones.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three pairs is not enough.

Degendorff

Reaction score
If all the trousers fit the same and if you only have paid 25-50 $ per pair of trousers, I would keep them all.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford to keep all six, you should. You bought them for a song, and you'll need all six for a regular work rotation.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40