• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hilditch & key shirts

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This afternoon I was in Chicago and purchased two Hilditch & Key shirts after I had heard about them on the forum.  The shirts are nice - I got two (both in a Linen/Cotton blend).  One is a solid light blue, the other is light blue with a beautiful white plaid/check pattern.  I'll post some pics on Sunday.  The quality seems to be good - am I right?  

However, I was foolish and did not try them on and they are too large in the chest for me, usually I need a slim cut shirt.  I'm thinking of ebaying them, anybody think this is a good idea?  Also, I'd be willing to sell them to forum members on the board, PM me if you are interested.

**Edit** Size is 17R.

gregory

Reaction score
Photos please ...
smile.gif
BTW, have you considered returning them, and also may I ask how much they cost you.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gregory, I'll definately add photos tonight. I'd return them, except for I bought them in Chicago and I live in Milwaukee - two hours away. As for the price...they were $200 originally, but I got them on sale...thats all I'm gonna say on that one
tounge.gif

demarc04

Reaction score
VersaceMan,

Where in Chicago did you purchase the Hilditch & Key shirts. I just moved here recently and was looking for a store that carried this brand. Thanks

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased them at the Saks on Michigan Ave. You might also try calling Neiman Marcus on Michigan, Marshall Fields on State, and the Barney's on a street off of Michigan (not sure which).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely be interested. Please post a link to the auctions, and may I ask that you post the measurements in the auctions? Thanks...

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bigbadbuff-

Check your PM's.

Also, I'll wait a while before auctioning them on ebay. It doesn't seem like they're a hot seller; I'd suspect the average ebayer wouldn't recognize the brand. I'll be able to post pics in about 2 or 3 hours when I get back to my room up at school. Here are the measurments for anyone interested:

Neck: 17"
Chest: 54"
Shoulders: 20" across
Sleeves: 23" (fits like a 34-35 sleeve)
Total length: 37" from under collar to bottom of shirt

100% cotton on care tag, though neck tag states 'cotton-linen'. I suspect that it is a linen blend. Whatever the case may be, the fabric looks and feels beautiful.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've watched several H&K auctions and they generally seem to sell fairly well. Not as well as Turnbull shirts do, but I don't think you'd have a problem unloading them.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan,

When I checked the items that had ended over the past two weeks, and they weren't so hot. All of them were pre-worn, so maybe it's not fair to compare, but there were 10 or 15 shirts and they went for $12-30.

gregory

Reaction score
Alan, When I checked the items that had ended over the past two weeks, and they weren't so hot. Â All of them were pre-worn, so maybe it's not fair to compare, but there were 10 or 15 shirts and they went for $12-30.
Very nice shirts, unfortunately I'm 16", not 17"
smile.gif
Ideas to increase the value of the shirt: - Iron them and fold them really nicely - Show the departmental store bag and receipt (but mark the price out using a marker pen) - Show the tags like you did in this forum You can specify a high start price, or a reserve price, so you won't have to part with the item at a low price. However, listing on ebay does cost some money. All the best.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gregory,

Thanks for the tips. The plaid shirt is still folder really nice from the store, but I had to unpack the solid blue shirt to get the measurments. That could use a good ironing. I don't really like reserves because I find they scare a lot of bidders away. I'd maybe start the auction at $40 with a BIN price of $80. I'd make a slight profit if someone decides to use the Buy-It-Now, otherwise I'd hope to break even after fees and such. There is one NWT H&K shirt on there now with one bid of $50. That gives me a little more confidence that I'd get a bid or two on each shirt.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry vman, I would love the button-down but the sleeves are too short for me.
sad.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads