Hilditch & key shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Mar 7, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Hey all,

This afternoon I was in Chicago and purchased two Hilditch & Key shirts after I had heard about them on the forum.  The shirts are nice - I got two (both in a Linen/Cotton blend).  One is a solid light blue, the other is light blue with a beautiful white plaid/check pattern.  I'll post some pics on Sunday.  The quality seems to be good - am I right?  

However, I was foolish and did not try them on and they are too large in the chest for me, usually I need a slim cut shirt.  I'm thinking of ebaying them, anybody think this is a good idea?  Also, I'd be willing to sell them to forum members on the board, PM me if you are interested.

**Edit** Size is 17R.

2. gregory

gregory Senior member

Photos please ... [​IMG] BTW, have you considered returning them, and also may I ask how much they cost you.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

Gregory, I'll definately add photos tonight. I'd return them, except for I bought them in Chicago and I live in Milwaukee - two hours away. As for the price...they were $200 originally, but I got them on sale...thats all I'm gonna say on that one [​IMG]

4. demarc04

demarc04 New Member

VersaceMan,

Where in Chicago did you purchase the Hilditch & Key shirts. I just moved here recently and was looking for a store that carried this brand. Thanks

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I purchased them at the Saks on Michigan Ave. You might also try calling Neiman Marcus on Michigan, Marshall Fields on State, and the Barney's on a street off of Michigan (not sure which).

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I would definitely be interested. Please post a link to the auctions, and may I ask that you post the measurements in the auctions? Thanks...

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

bigbadbuff-

Check your PM's.

Also, I'll wait a while before auctioning them on ebay. It doesn't seem like they're a hot seller; I'd suspect the average ebayer wouldn't recognize the brand. I'll be able to post pics in about 2 or 3 hours when I get back to my room up at school. Here are the measurments for anyone interested:

Neck: 17"
    Chest: 54"
    Shoulders: 20" across
    Sleeves: 23" (fits like a 34-35 sleeve)
    Total length: 37" from under collar to bottom of shirt

100% cotton on care tag, though neck tag states 'cotton-linen'. I suspect that it is a linen blend. Whatever the case may be, the fabric looks and feels beautiful.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

pictures. Plaid shirt, spread collar: [​IMG] [​IMG] Solid, button-down collar: [​IMG] [​IMG] Features tag (the color came up tan for some reason): [​IMG]

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've watched several H&K auctions and they generally seem to sell fairly well. Not as well as Turnbull shirts do, but I don't think you'd have a problem unloading them.

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Alan,

When I checked the items that had ended over the past two weeks, and they weren't so hot. All of them were pre-worn, so maybe it's not fair to compare, but there were 10 or 15 shirts and they went for $12-30.

11. gregory

gregory Senior member

Very nice shirts, unfortunately I'm 16", not 17" [​IMG] Ideas to increase the value of the shirt: - Iron them and fold them really nicely - Show the departmental store bag and receipt (but mark the price out using a marker pen) - Show the tags like you did in this forum You can specify a high start price, or a reserve price, so you won't have to part with the item at a low price. However, listing on ebay does cost some money. All the best.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Gregory,

Thanks for the tips. The plaid shirt is still folder really nice from the store, but I had to unpack the solid blue shirt to get the measurments. That could use a good ironing. I don't really like reserves because I find they scare a lot of bidders away. I'd maybe start the auction at $40 with a BIN price of $80. I'd make a slight profit if someone decides to use the Buy-It-Now, otherwise I'd hope to break even after fees and such. There is one NWT H&K shirt on there now with one bid of $50. That gives me a little more confidence that I'd get a bid or two on each shirt.

13. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

sorry vman, I would love the button-down but the sleeves are too short for me. [​IMG]

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

You must be a 36/37 sleeve - hard to find the necessary sleeve length I bet.