1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hilditch & Key shirts - quality?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rathebaindc, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Spark

Spark Senior member

I don't have any H&K, but I do have a few of the others mentioned. Here's my take:

H&H: Nice but uneven quality. I've got a couple of their recent butcher stripe shirts that are high quality fabric, reasonably well done pattern matching, and have the aforementioned lousy buttons but have sent back others that were - IMHO - pretty subpar versions in staple colors. Really seemed like shirts from two different companies. Normally I take a slim fit, but theirs was so constrictive as to be unwearable - easier to take traditional cut and have my tailor bring in sides. Good customer service on the returns though.

T&A: Lovely shirts, well made, beautiful fabrics, seem to last forever and just get softer over time, but very spendy as noted. You get what you pay for.

BB Golden Fleece: Just picked up a few of these in the 12/26 sale. Brooks has become a place where one has to really hunt for quality items these days (I've been shopping at their NY flagship since high school). Their once reliable shirt line has so many permutations in terms of cuts and fabrics that it can be tricky to find the good ones, even among their storied oxford button downs. The GF shirts are definitely a cut above the rest in terms of fabric and construction. They also feature BB's "Londoner" collar which is a nice interpretation of the spread and have thick MOP buttons. Probably not worth the price at full retail, but a reasonable deal on sale at around $150. FWIW, their "slim fit" is a bit more generous than what their mainline OCBD slim fits are, so it must be from a different pattern.

Charle Trywhitt: I've bought a few along the way in some basic colors, but have since donated them. Horrible, stiff collars, flimsy fabric. Only upside I can see is that you at least have the option of choosing between a button or french cuff on most models and barrel cuffs with a cutaway can be hard to find unless you are well north of $100 from oat shirt makers.

TMLewin: Although the business model is similar to CT (endless sales etc.), I think you can find a few gems in their lineup. They make a very attractive cutaway and the collars have light fusing, but it comes down to the fabric - I recently snagged some royal oxford shirts on a deep discount that were very impressive for the price point and I have some older end-on-ends that are going strong.Fails include the standard oxford, poplins, and twills

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

They did raise their prices but there are currently- or at least a week ago, bargains on their website in the sale section.
    Eaton? or Eton?- Not equivalent to H &K .Every Eton I've ever seen has a hard fused collar. H& K shirts are not fused

http://sale.hilditchandkey.co.uk/Gentlemen/Shirts/Default.aspx

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. burntheheretic

burntheheretic New Member

Went to Jermyn St yesterday for a little bit of personal maintenance.

90 quid at T&A to change cuff and collar, 80 quid on a shirt from the sale downstairs.

When I walked into H&K I thought I had gone into the wrong shop. The refit was as generic as could be. The new cut didn't fit half bad, so I got one to see how it would wear over time. But for 170 quid, I can't imagine that it will be a great value.

I did immediately go online and buy 6 of the old slim fit, 56 is a great price.

4. Meurice

Meurice Well-Known Member

HK's new shop is dreadful - lifeless, sterile and generic. I picked up the last "old style" shirts from their warehouse Sale website (now defunct).

HH is still a great place because of their eccentric ways - but the larger shop (at the corner of DoY street) is undergoing refurbishment as well, god knows what this will bring. Their shirts are robust and sometimes a bit bland, in particular the plainw hite and azure blue popelin ones have this "uniform" kind of look.

5. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

From now on, it's Luxire. Every single time. Sorry, Jermyn St, you have outpriced yourselves.

6. Meurice

Meurice Well-Known Member

Been to the newly refurbished H&H shop at the far end of J-Street. Hahaha they also went for the all-beige generic look. Had a brief chat with old Mr Hudson and he said "what can you do...".

1 person likes this.
  7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

They fit like a tent...

8. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

That's the problem with OTR - 'regular' = fatty and 'slim' = beanpole. None of them fit a guy who is shaped properly. So it has to be MTM.

9. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

The ones i have seen got poor fabrics, plastic buttons and very mediocre quality.

10. Maximus Rex

Maximus Rex Well-Known Member

Hadn't bought a H&K shirt in a while, so tried a couple as work shirts. Noticed the prices have gone up significantly and the quality has taken a nose dive. Would not recommend to anyone. Problems with stitching, fabric inconsistencies, collar sewn improperly--on just two shirts!

Wow. Times have changed. Used to be a decent shirt maker...

11. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

The ones I have seen do not differ from Wallmart etc, leaves a lot to be desired.

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

The last two I bought from their sale about a year ago, were fine.
    I guess I lucked out.