1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hilditch & Key - New website and new shirt era? Chase the new or lament the loss of a bygone era?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smoothie1, Dec 11, 2014.

1. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Alright gentlemen, the new Hilditch & Key website has gone live. See here: http://www.hilditchandkey.co.uk/

I am a longtime and diehard customer of Hilditch & Key, and I must admit I am underwhelmed and concerned that something might be lost with their new designs.

It appears that the ready to wear button cuff shirts now feature double button cuffs only, as opposed to the more traditional single button cuffs they had formerly. Hopefully, H&K has not tweaked the wonderful double cuffs. I do not know whether they have changed their fit at all, but only time will tell. Please share other changes or differences in these shirts you observe or experience.

I understand H&K's desire to spruce up the brand's marketing and the look/feel of the website. However, something about this feels a little too much like some of their flashier or ubiquitous competitors, at least for my taste. Am I alone here? What do others think? (By the way, we're still waiting for the new Edward Green website to launch.)

Has anyone viewed Hilditch & Key's new shirt wares in person? I am hoping to drum up a healthy discussion of all things Hilditch & Key in this thread. So please jump in! Cheers.

2. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

I was in the shop last week. At least 50% of the shop floor was RTW menswear [not shirts]. Moreover the shirts that were there were in a narrower range of colours and patterns than previously.

bespoke shirting is prominent now, though. there is a bench out for that purpose

3. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Fellows, join the conversation.

Do they have plans to expand the colours and patterns? I recognize they plan to bolster the bespoke service, which is quite good, but more of a MTM service.

I want to see the bold and bright patterns!

4. Dan Yorks

Dan Yorks New Member

Hi. First bought H&K shirts back in 1982 from their Jermyn Street shop and have continued to purchase regularly since then. Always very pleased with the quality and the colours and designs. I have not been in yet but have passed by the window and whilst it looks very smart it seems to lack a little character - with the emphasis seeming to be on jackets and outerwear rather than traditional shirts in bold colours and designs I suppose I want to feel that I can go in and have a bit of a rummage around. Shops like New and Lingwood and Budd have retained a traditional feel whilst updating their lines . . Modernising is fine, but it feels a little more Bond Street than Jermyn Street..

5. redips

redips Well-Known Member

Please pardon the bump, but I too am very interested to hear if anyone has tried the new shirt.

I only have a few H&K shirts because I discovered them a few years ago, but there is not another similarly priced shirt on the market that wears as well for me as their slim cut. I am afraid of what the new cut brings and would rather not spend the money until I know for sure.

Thank you.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

+1. I have about a dozen of them and used to get a couple every July and December when they went on sale. I'm definitely curious about the new shirts too.

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

Notice: The semi annual sale is not yet underway. It usually is by now, if I recall correctly.
    I also would have received email prior to posting the sale info on their website.
    Another point, unless I am totally incompetent in navigating in their website, the
    cutaway collar shirts are not listed. It's a new regime for sure.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

They had an extended inventory clearing sale from late summer through late fall. I believe they were moving old stock to make room for newly branded stock and redesign/ launch.

I am curious to see if any discounting will apply after Xmas, although I will not hold my breath. Shirts are no longer segregated by collar style or French and button cuffs or wool-cotton on the website, and overall, they display fewer shirts than the previous website. Also, I do not really like the two button cuff as much as the trusty old single button, but this change is certainly not a deal breaker.

All of the new (old stock) shirts I have been hoarding from sales and orders in the past few years went from gratuitous accumulation to strategic stockpiling rather quickly.

Cheers fellows. I'm glad we are picking up a little steam and interest in this thread.

9. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

12. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting that they only have one fit.
    and that is a modern slimish cut.

the old Hilditch were much fuller through the body.

i think they used to offer sleeve lengths as well.
    the shirt tail is very long by today's standards

they may lose their older out of shape customer

the video was interesting.
    they combine a combination of both older and more modern techniques.
    their modern techniques date back to about 20 -30 years.

looks like only the cuffs were sewn on automated machines.
    doe anyone know if all Hilditch shirts are made in the UK?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  13. NickM

NickM New Member

They're made in Glenrothes in Scotland.

14. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

They should bring back the old fit. I have heard some grumblings recently about the new fit as well as the higher prices. Do they have new owners who are trying to shake things up a bit? I don't understand what's driving this.

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

I am not a menswear marketing professional, but to me the new website
    could denote a beginning of a "death spiral". Maybe the old way was not
    profitable enough so big changes have been made. Now we are regaled with
    "lifestyle" bullshit in lieu of a broader selection and lower prices. Too many
    menswear retailers, especially the newer generation, pursue this course.
    It makes me wonder about their shirts, which I have been buying for decades.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  16. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

Appreciate that this is not a new thread, but thought I would add some love for the "new" H&K.

I dropped in on the H&K Jermyn Street store while in London last Friday. I was curious, as I normally have my shirts made by Nialma. I asked to try on a 15.5" and 16" collar (I am 15.75" with Nialma). They were very obliging, and I was delighted that their new shape could have been modelled on me. Fit like a glove. Yes, the tail is very, very long, but when I tried it on this didn't pose any kind of problem.

I bought three cutaway button cuffs at £69 each (they're £79 each if you buy one or two). I'll see how they do. However, if they do as well in the next few weeks as they have so far this week (I have worn all three, Monday-today) then I will be switching to H&K for all my shirts. In the sale, of course! I may even try a sea island quality one, although to be honest I doubt I could differentiate.

Plus points:

* The shirting feel is good, ironing is okay
    * Collars not hard or scratchy
    * No gauntlet buttons (I hate them) but the gauntlet stays shut
    * Decent sale pricing

My only niggles:

* No linen offering
    * Limited sale stock (but then I was late to the sale)
    * Sea island only in classic collar, no cutaway
    * No returns on sale items, so make sure you try on in store (home orders are returnable, by legal requirement)

I thought the double button would annoy me, but it's been fine. Ditto the long tails. So overall I am a happy customer.

17. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Hilditch and Key uses some of the best linen out there. They used to make a few linen shirts as part of RTW line, and they make a large selections of linen fabrics available through bespoke. The downside to bespoke linen shirts is they are especially expensive. I think they have some cotton-linen blends in the sale at this time, but it's just not the same thing.

However, the wool-cotton blends are superb. Also, the sea island cotton is high quality; I'm not sure if they are worth the premium to be honest. But I do own several of these as well. If you want a spread collar on these, I would check resellers who offer special makeups for their store stock.

Thanks for sharing your impressions and experience @Rossjames. Hilditch makes fine shirts. I'm not in love with the new two buttons and new fit...

18. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

For those who might be interested in H&K's older trim fit model, we will be clearing our inventory of H&K in our upcoming Summer Sale which starts on July 25th.
    You can send us a PM with your size and we will reply with pictures of what we have available for you. Thanks!

19. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Hilditch and Key has brought back their classic fit shirts as part of their new updated collection. They state the classic shirt is back due to popular demand.

I can only imagine the issues discontinuing their original classic shirt created for many customers. It seemed like a dumb move to eliminate what was original and classic. I am glad customers like me, who favor the classic fit, will be able to purchase what they like from this favorite shirt maker without the wait and additional cost of MTM-bespoke to acquire it.

Thank goodness sanity has prevailed in this case. Cheers.

1 person likes this.