1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Hilditch & Key City Sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by comrade, Jan 7, 2012.

1. comrade

comrade Senior member

2. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Does Hilditch & Key deduct VAT?

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

I think so. I ordered during their summer sale, so I'd have to check my credit card receipts, which I haven't done.
    Email them and ask. They're very responsive.

4. poincare0

poincare0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the PSA

I knew things were rough for those poor city boys but had no idea how bad. On the other hand I am one of the idiots that was left with what at last count was a £40 billion bill for bailing these guys out

5. plei89

plei89 Senior member

They do deduct VAT.

6. poincare0

poincare0 Well-Known Member

does that mean US clients will not have to pay any VAT at all?

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

In my experience in the UK and Austria, the last time I bought any clothing, etc
    at the stores when I actually visited, the VAT was deducted at the Airport, if
    I remember correctly. I am not sure that the stores are in a position to determine
    that a foreign customer who visits the store in not also a local resident, and therefore
    subject to the VAT. Foreign orders, on the other hand, are prima facie, not subject to
    VAT.
    Again, contact H&K for their policy.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

No further discounts in store or at St Botolphs sale site (where btw the sneering attitude of the staff put us off so much that we had to leave) !
    I have several HK shirts but the attitude of this guy was inexcusable

9. GBer

GBer Senior member

Can't comment on H&K for US mail orders.

IME, it depends. Sometimes some stores give you a partial VAT deduction. Others give you a full deduction. You should call and ask to confirm. UK was raised to 20% last year.

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I ordered from them during their sale last July. Yes they do deduct the VAT although I can't remember if it was automatic or if I had to enter a code or something. Shipping to the US was pretty steep (flat rate of 23 GBP, IIRC) so definitely order several shirts at a time. If you get 2 of the sale shirts the VAT discount basically covers the shipping.
    Fred

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

That's the formula, more or less.

12. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

I emailed them a couple days ago (via the contact form on their website) and they replied today with the following:

"We will deduct the VAT before we charge your account."

I'm not sure how it actually happens between the time you place an order online and them charging your credit card, but at least they state that it'll be deducted.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I need to spend $170 for two shirts...

13. Lex Diamonds

Lex Diamonds Active Member

I really like the look and feel of H&K shirts, but, unfortunately, they do not carry my size (17 1/2, 37/38). I really wish they would update their standard offering to meet the needs of the vertically gifted (or challenged depending on how you look at it).