• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiking/Leather Boots: Post pictures or write about your favorite boots

blackguts_

Reaction score
I'm making the transition from sneakers and hoodies into a more avant garde style and I wanna see what you guys consider the best boots, specifically hiking boots or any leather boots. So far CCP tornado boots, Margiela's original artisanal square toe boots and Ann Demeulemeester's backlace hiking boots have become my grails. I like what Alyx has been doing with their boots over the last few years a lot as well. Any suggestions on boots that have come out recently that match that general style? Include your favorite styles as well

eafiii

Reaction score
There are a lot of great boot companies out there at all different price points. Right now, I'm waiting for these custom boot/shoes from a place called Frank's Boots in Spokane, WA. They are my first pair of fully custom-made-to-measure boots.

Franksboot.jpg

Gonzo9

Reaction score
Nicely done! “Made to Order” boots/shoes are a luxury that is surprising affordable all things considered. They look like they are built like a tank. Well worth the wait.

eafiii

Reaction score
Nicely done! “Made to Order” boots/shoes are a luxury that is surprising affordable all things considered. They look like they are built like a tank. Well worth the wait.
Especially if you have really hard-to-fit feet like mine! I've always had to settle for "good enough". Nice to have some that will fit perfectly and last forever.

Attachments

• IMG_4002.JPG
    IMG_4002.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 54
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 125

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@blackguts_
For just leather boots, there's a Boots, Boots, Boots thread with a large following and some pretty serious boot connoisseurs. I would suggest looking there. A big question when you say hiking boots is whether you're really going to be hiking in them or you just want to wear casual style boots. I suspect from your post that it's the latter - not so much hiking as just general purpose.
Spend some time looking through the boot thread and you'll see a variety of exceptional casual and dress boots. I own about 8 pairs of boots (and a large selection of leather shoes) - 1 specifically for backpacking and the rest for casual or dress wear. I have 2 more boots on the way. Brands I own include Alden, Allen Edmonds, Carmina and Whites Boots. The backpacking boots are Asolos. I wouldn't wear any of my other boots backpacking and I think the backpacking boots are a poor stylistic choice for normal casual wear. Other popular brands are Trickers, Viberg, C&J, Grant Stone, Meermin

You should understand going from sneakers to real, quality leather boots or shoes is a bit of a jump. Unlike sneakers which stretch a lot and are extremely easy to buy sight-unseen and be guaranteed they fit, the shoes and boots often discussed here do not. I wear a 9.5D, 9.5E, 9D, 8.5 depending on the shoe or boot. And, some shoe/boot lasts don't fit my feet well at all. I think going from sneakers to buying $800 (or more) boots as a first step is a risky proposition. If you do, you want to buy off-the-rack from a place with a good return policy. In a perfect world you would find a local dealer. When I started buying Allen Edmonds and Alden shoes/boots I was able to visit local dealers and try on different sizes/lasts. As I started to branch out to other brands, I could use this site to reference how a shoe/boot in say Carmina compares to those I already own. So, I fairly educated guess.

Also, you really shouldn't wear a quality leather shoe day after day - you want it to be able to dry out in between. So, you want at least 2 pairs. Then, if you're like most people here, you'll find that you want a different style, and then different colors and different types of leather or tanning processes. Sometimes, the choices are about function - a rough-out leather handles field work better without showing as much scarring, but it's often a very casual look.
So, if you were going to buy 2 pairs of boots in the next few months to become your everyday footwear, how much can you spend on each pair?

blackguts_

Reaction score
Thanks i'm about to check out the thread and some of those brands now

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm particularly fond of the M120 "Magnifico" from Fracap. It comes in a variety of leathers, colors, sole types and lace combinations. The possibilities are pretty endless and you can even do a MTO option on their website where you pick the combo you want.

Side Note: I changed the lace color on mine since this photo because in some circles I run in red laces on black boots indicate white supremacist affiliation

tempImageBTA7r5.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads