• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiking boot, non-clunky, that could double as a dress shoe

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing some backpacking in Europe and was looking for a leather hiking boot that could double, or at least appear, as a dress shoe should I put on slacks or jeans and wanna go out at night. It would save me a lot of trouble from having to pack two pairs of shoes. I've always needed something like the above. It would need to be all leather obviously and not too clunky or overly padded. I have AE's Bayfield boot but it's really not suited for long-distance walking... to stiff and dressy and would look weird should I wear shorts. Thanks for any recommendations

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

rkusmant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I'll be doing some backpacking in Europe and was looking for a leather hiking boot that could double, or at least appear, as a dress shoe should I put on slacks or jeans and wanna go out at night. It would save me a lot of trouble from having to pack two pairs of shoes. I've always needed something like the above. It would need to be all leather obviously and not too clunky or overly padded. I have AE's Bayfield boot but it's really not suited for long-distance walking... to stiff and dressy and would look weird should I wear shorts. Thanks for any recommendations

+1 on Alden boots, get one with commando sole. Pack boat shoes/'driving' loafer to wear with shorts, won't take that much space

auggie

Reaction score
If your actually going to go on some proper hikes I wouldn't wear any of the dress boots people would recommend here. They're all nice boots, but are complete **** to hike any terrain other than sidewalks and a city park. If your backpacking Europe through cities I would bring a nice pair of dress shoes to wear in the evenings and a comfortable pair of walking shoes for the days. I know you said one pair... but If your walking around all day, which you probably will be, your going to want to bring at least 2 pairs of shoes..smelly feet and all.

ellardelinor

Reaction score
My work dress code is casual but I don't think that walking around in colorful wellies would be appropriate my go to shoe has always been the Adidas Samba or Danseuse professional clog, but I don't think that either can make it through the fall and winter in New England i saw some waterproof sneakers at LL Bean that were acceptable, but they are discontinued and didn't have my size in stock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads