• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Start with the basics: backpack, sleeping bag, tent. Get some simple cooking equipment, including a packable stove and pot. Get some decent footwear. That's really about it. Look online for some good lists of equipment you might want to carry with you. IMHO, it's always better to err on the side of less stuff as opposed to more stuff. There are few things you can't do without, especially on an overnighter.

The key thing is to go out and get a few nights under your belt. Do some research online for local trails and pick one that seems ridiculously short. Go on an overnighter and see what you think. Learn how to use all your stuff and then you can go from there.
smile.gif

should I bring a friend?

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^And a bottle of whiskey.
yjeezle there are some links to online sites in the previous page for you to check out (don't forget sierra trading post), get atleast a 60liter pack and don't forget a water filter, it is the most important thing to have.

Hey Dave I looked up the map and Sylvia is right by Pyramid peak and thats just north of Ropi.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome pics mana. What kind of gear did you end up getting, and how long was the hike?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Glad this thread was bumped. I just read it from the OP on. I like the rei.com site.

For light day trips, do you guys still recommend the walking poles? Looking at those BD flicksticks. Also made me think about getting a first aid kit, even just for under ten mile round trips. I figure an injury will be just like the #1 rule in moose hunting (the moose always drops at least a mile from the canoe/boat).

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the past year I have hiked around 200 miles, and not one mile was with trekking poles. That being said, they are not necessary but can make a big impact by taking stress off your lowerbody joints. Also, when you walk with trekking poles they help you develop a smooth rhythm slowing down your heart rate and allowing for more relaxed breathing, so later in your hike you will have more stamina and your lower body will not be as fatigued as they would be if you didnt use the poles.

BUT, all of that depends on whether or not you are using them properly. If your technique sucks, then you will just be expending energy and your hands wont be free.

Get a basic kit with essentials (mine weighs 6.9oz and cost about $15). Often times when people die in the back country it's not caused by a single event, but a series of fuckups. So, if one bad situation can be appeased with a first aid kit you are much more likely to keep a clear head and make better decisions in the wilderness that can be life saving.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Any links on "pole technique"? (no ****)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thanks, J5. Excellent video.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thanks, J5. Excellent video.

Kristin!
fing02[1].gif

* Pio - First aid kit definitely. A single hiking stick for flat hikes is fine (pick one up at the start of the hike). Lots of up and down/rough terrain/river crossings/etc. an adjustable pole is advisable. two poles seems excessive, but if you've good bad knees/ankles or are really putting in the miles might be a good idea

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Might order a pair of the BDs and we can each use one. Take it from there.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Awesome pics mana. What kind of gear did you end up getting, and how long was the hike?

I got a 60l north face pack, 3lb two man tent from the surplus store, and a $12 sleeping bag. The bag will need to be replaced immediately, not compact and warm enough. As for boots my friend gave me his military issue jungle boots to use, I'll have to suck it up and get real hiking boots soon, thinking about the north face ones someone linked in random fashion thoughts.

We started Friday and came back Sunday, it wasn't long but more than half the trail was loose granite so that ******* sucked, especially on the way back. The elevation was at about 8300ft and went up to about 9000ft, it wasn't too bad but I smoke...The trail could've been done in one day.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Might order a pair of the BDs and we can each use one. Take it from there.

Be sure to post results in Manly Stuff I did Today!
smile.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
I got a 60l north face pack, 3lb two man tent from the surplus store, and a $12 sleeping bag. The bag will need to be replaced immediately, not compact and warm enough. As for boots my friend gave me his military issue jungle boots to use, I'll have to suck it up and get real hiking boots soon, thinking about the north face ones someone linked in random fashion thoughts.

We started Friday and came back Sunday, it wasn't long but more than half the trail was loose granite so that ******* sucked, especially on the way back. The elevation was at about 8300ft and went up to about 9000ft, it wasn't too bad but I smoke...The trail could've been done in one day.

Damn, you crazy. How uncomfortable was it hiking in jungle boots? You can get a nice Kelty 20deg down sleeping bag at campmor for $90! $90, and its probably 7lbs lighter than the current bag you have. If I didnt purchase my Mountain Hardware bag prior I would have scooped it up. How is the tent?

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jungle boots were light but they were already beat to hell, on the way back the soles were so fucked up I had to pull them out, so it ******* sucked. The bag I have is just alittle under 4lbs but thank you for the link I'm grabbing one of those kelty's. Tent was fine but moisture was showing up at one point, weird because my brother has the same one and his was dry. I'll have to hit it with some gore-tex spray.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics