1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

hiking/backpacking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jett, Jun 26, 2007.

1. yerfdog

yerfdog Well-Known Member

Yes, that is really amazing scenery, Vintage Gent. Looks like an amazing trip.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Went on a day hike Monday through one of our state parks. It was awesome.

3. natiekell

natiekell Member

Whoa, that is beautiful! What I wouldn't give to spend some time in those beautiful mountains!

4. mikeman

mikeman Well-Known Member

Next week, I'm going on my first backpacking trip 4 days/ 3 nights in the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan. Anyhow, a friend let me borrow a pack, but Im pretty sure that its a 110L, which is clearly way more than needed. Do you have any advice on how I should pack this thing, as it clearly wont be filled tight? Im just kind of worried things will settle at the bottom. Also, its kind of a cheap pack and doesn't have lateral compression straps... Any advice on the pack situation would be awesome.

Secondly, what are some of your favorite diner type meals to bring along?

Lastly, we will be drinking water from the streams, but only have some Katadyn tablets, which are suppose to be fine, as long as I wait the required time. But do you have any suggestions on keeping the dirt/rocks/bugs out of my Nalgene while filling up? Would something like a cheese cloth suffice?

Thank you, and any info would be much appreciated.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

A bandana is a pretty effective all purpose strainer.

6. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

A friend and I took our kids (he has three, I have two) and backpacked into Desolation Wilderness by Lake Tahoe. We hiked in to Lake Aloha, about five miles. The lake was quite low but we swam for a bit and then slept over. We headed out in the morning. It was a great little trip.

7. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Went hiking Saturday. A little snow but beautiful forest views. Very peaceful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when I go day hiking I throw some meat and beans and beer and stuff in the crockpot and come home to delicious warm chili.

[​IMG]

Plus I had cornbread. Mmmmmmm.

9. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Looking for a new water filter/sterilizer for backcountry and semi-backcountry use. What's everyone use? Filter or sterilizer or both? Weight isn't that much is a concern as these aren't ultralight trips.

On another note I did a day hike yesterday in NY along part of the Appalachian Trail and was surprised to find so many people hiking the whole thing.

lefty

10. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

i used tablets with some chlorine compound during my hike in Atlas, they did the job fine. They were not too expensive 13 bucks for 40 pills. Approx 1g pill goes for 1-1,5 liters of water so it's not too much extra weight :) After water was disinfected (took 30-60mins dont remember) I threw in some vitamin pills to improve taste and get some electrolytes back... remember less weight = more food [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I've always been an iodine and/or boil guy, but it's time to join the modern age.

lefty

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

I have a Katadyn filter that I use when I go backpacking. It works fine, is easy to disassemble and clean, and doesn't weigh a lot. So far I have no complaints.

13. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Thanks. Will probably pick one up along with a steripen.

lefty

15. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Who uses a backpacking hammock? Pros/cons? I never really sleep well on a pad and am thinking of upping my game.

lefty

16. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

I've used them before but even on mild nights they can get very cold. Also I have found I am too tall (6'4") to really be comfortable in one.

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I guess the cold is dealt with by a down underquilt suspended below the hammock. Or even a closed cell pad slipped between the two layers of the hammock.

[​IMG]

Or a down dress.

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll see if REI rents them before I commit. Like the idea of a light quick setup over any type of terrain.

lefty

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. aravenel

I'm tempted to try one, mostly because I have a terrible back and have never found a sleeping pad that didn't leave me in excruciating pain for half the night.

19. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

So I never in my life had a decent nights sleep in the outdoors, until I tried:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/qcore

I tried all manner of sleeping pads before this one and they can't touch it. I am pretty extreme when it comes to cutting weight from my pack, but this pad is so completely worth the extra weight vs. Exped, NeoAir etc. You might try one before going the hammock route. They can found cheap on eBay last I checked.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  20. aravenel

Interesting... Definitely might be worth a try.