Hikerdelic Rambler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by AngryYoungPoor, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:50 PM.

1. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

There is a movement in the U.K. Called Hikerdelic Ramblers. This movement was heavily influenced by Proper magazine and the brand Casual Connoisseur.
    Basically, it's a bit of a mash of of the vintagef 80s Casual look and modern mountain climbing/deep sea exploring men with discerning tastes in quality clobber. The basic Fjallraven, Norrona, Woolrich, Stone Island/CP Company and the like are totally acceptable. Footwear consists of vintage Adidas, New Balance and Clarks Originals. IMHO it is the direct linage of Mod from the 60's-present. Here are some looks to get the thread rolling (or Ramblin' if you will). There are literally 100s of variations on this look and just as many labels (the more obscure the better). Oneupsmanship is the word that encapsulates this movement. Having that one cool thing that makes your mates jealous is key. This is also a look that translates well into middle age without the stuffiness (albeit definitely influenced by) The Ivy League look.

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2069.PNG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1847.JPG

2. AngryYoungPoor

3. LeviStubbsTears

LeviStubbsTears Active Member

Even though its not for me I do like this look. I'm personally priced out of and in the wrong climate for a lot of the outdoors stuff. It doesn't feel like it's ever going to be below 100 degrees in the middle of the state. I do like that this breaks out of the two camps I tend to see with people carrying on the casual look. The first is the modern clone island type decked out bootleg burberry in and the other is the type that doesn't want to take the look past Sergio Tacchini/Borg track tops. I appreciate your love for all the fine knitwear of the early era. I have been looking into some modern European military surplus gore-tex jackets in place of the "technical fabric" gear.

I made a few acquisitions this weekend that I don't think are out of place here.
    image1-6.JPG

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

There's something perversely cute about this look.

5. AngryYoungPoor

Thanks for the positive reinforcement LST! I know that it's not for everyone but I've been into the casual thing for, Christ almost 20 years now and I like that the Rambler subculture is all about clothes but the violence fell by the wayside in favour of smoking a spliff on a hill instead haha! It should have been started in San Francisco!

6. AngryYoungPoor

Well the ladies seem to appreciate it (if my beautiful wife is anyone to go by) so I'll take that as a compliment haha!

7. AngryYoungPoor

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I like the look, but isn't this basically just British Casual? Maybe with some Oi Polloi, Proper Magazine, '70s outdoorsy stuff mixed in, but it's basically Casual, no?

Edit: OK, except for the looks immediately above. Posted too late.

9. AngryYoungPoor

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

10. AngryYoungPoor

It is essentially part of the Casual look but has evolved a bit. I was initially just posted influences as pics to give a more well rounded feel. Also, it's not all about aggro and right wing lunacy any longer. I like to think of it as " The thinking mans Casual haha".

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Just invested in a couple of prs of these Merrells to see me into retirement :

: images.jpeg
    I like a bit of a bucolic ramble,but am by no means hperdelic.I totally avoided the casual scene and am adverse to prominent labels,so hopefully will not be pigeon holed into the latest sub cult.Been wearing Vasque Sundowners for the past 10 years which happen to be very much a Black urban style in the NE US.Decent boots,but I hope these Merrells hold up better for the money.
    Just started to break them in at the I-O-W festival ;)

12. AngryYoungPoor

Very fine pair of boots there Gsvs5!

I feel like I can't really make those work with my outfits (pure vanity haha!) but if I had to tackle more difficult terrain than the hills of SF I'd certainly like a pair of those!

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Good luck with this thread,its different enough to be interesting.

One of my leisure activities is rambling/hiking/hill walking, the funny thing is that the practical/functional boots and clothes that I wear on those days I wouldn't wear any other time,Meindl or lowa gore tex lined boots,Fjallraven trousers,Helly Hansen jacket,ECWCS gore tex parka etc etc its great in its place but no 'look' at all.

I do though wear some clothes in a similar style to those in your pictures when I am outdoors in the city on cold / wet days,and when go off to football matches .
    Barbour parka,Shetland jumper,jeans,Mephist Fredrick boots so not a million miles from this look but more subdued.

I am definitely heading away from trainers imo they aren't really 'age appropriate' when you are in your late 50s,same with tracksuit jackets,these have never been my thing anyway (unless under a parka on a very cold day), and spliffs will never be for me.

I do like the knitwear and I think that the Scottish lambswool jumpers and Shetland ones are great and will be a colder weather staple for me.

So I will watch this thread with interest as I do like some of the 'look' and I find it interesting a bit like the 80s Paninari look,a different take on an older theme.

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Just so I can get this out of the way - when I climb Munros I wear whatever's comfortable.

2017-05-09 08a Ben Lawers summit.png

15. AngryYoungPoor

Thanks gentleman,

Like I said, I know that it's a very specific look and not for everyone. I just find the need to "break out" of my subcultural chains and I think that this is a great way (one of many and just happens to appeal to me ) to express individuality without total giving up and dressing like a Herbert haha. There are so many different ways to pull this "look" for lack of a better word together and I simply thought I'd share my interest with the community.

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2101.PNG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2098.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2108.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG