1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Hijack of FIHTies review thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brescd01, Sep 23, 2004.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Senior Member

Andrew,

I would have bought the suit to which you refer without hesitation but you seem to indicate all sales are final, and since I have never tried on Castangia pants, I could be stuck with a suit that does not fit and cannot be altered. If you loosened your return policy, I would definitely take that suit in 42

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

I also am continuously surprised that Andrew's Castangia suit and Weissbier's Attolini chalk-striped gray flannel suit remain unsold at bargain-basement prices, particularly with all the discussion on this forum about obtaining high-end goods at favorable prices. As the purchaser of two suits from Andrew and an Oxxford blazer from Weissbier, I can assure all of you that there are no problems, tailoring or otherwise, if you compare the seller's measurements with your existing items. My alterations have been minimal and the fit is outstanding on all these items, even though my sizing is between a 40R and a 40S. The new Bergdorf Fall catalog shows Barbera suits at about $2,900 and a Kiton suit RTW at over $5,000.

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

i was thinking of buying the attolini suit in question. but I do not know how thick and heavy the material is. In Canada, the winter is cold and dreadful, but I usually stay inside and its pretty warm.

4. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

honestly i think it's that people NEED to have something to complain about. not you guys, just people in general. the suit that weissbier has is amazing, yet it doesn't sell. i understand people not needing suits (me) or it not being your size or having something similar, but whoever said "it's surprising" is completely correct. i think the issue is people want a "better" deal, but at some point it becomes counterproductive to sell b/c the money to be made becomes too small, just like any other biz. i understand wanting the best deal b/c i look for the best deal just like anyone else, but the future result could be people like worldsfinest, andrew, weissbier etc etc decide it's not really worth it, then filenes gets it all and the borrelli sportcoat that could have been had for 800 all of the sudden is a "deal" on the filenes rack at 1299 (i honestly don't know what it'd cost at filenes, i'm just going by my last visit to C21 where Isaia suits were 850 and could easily be had on ebay for 475-600 and brionis were 1500 or so). that's just my opinion but i feel others might see the validity

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The thing with Filenes, Marshalls, Loehmann's etc... is that they are so big that they can afford to make great deals, which the sport shoppers (like us) usually get. I've seen Corneliani suits there and at Marshalls for well under $300. Recently, I had the opportunity to get a Neil Barrett casual suit (retail $925) for just under $100. With deals like that...

6. STYLESTUDENT

The upper-end Ebay retailers are available to all of us and do not require a time or travel commitment for sale shopping on a certain day in December or July for the Bergdorf or whatever sale. Where I live, you couldn't find a discounted Barbera suit for about 250 miles.

7. LA Guy

That's true. But the majority of sportshoppers live in and around major metropoli, thus the awful term "metrosexual". I find myself either buying something at retail if I *really* like it, and don't think that it'll last until sale time, or waiting for the Saks of Neiman's final, final, sales, when you can go into a brick and mortar store, and at no risk whatsoever, get a Canali suit for under $500 (no questions asked returns within 30 days), or if money is a little tighter, a Trend Corneliani suit (the slimmer cut of which I frankly prefer) for about $300. The only "can't pass it up deals" (and trust me, with my finances right now, nearly everything is a pass up) are those $250 (less with a coupon) Corneliani suits in a perfect size, or those rare $35 Paper Denim jeans (the actual production cost of those jeans, including materials, manufacture, transportation and treatment, is about that - wholesale is about double.)

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

So, that's what it feels like to have a thread hijacked... [​IMG] PS: Thanks for the kind words Andrew... JJF

9. LA Guy

Hey FIH, sorry for my part in hijacking this thread. It's sort of an organic process around here, it seems.

10. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

You Know... I firmly believe that the hijack was unintentional by all parties involved. You are right... An occupational hazzard here but it has opened my mind to the "dangers" and I will be more attentive to it in the future. Oh Well... Such is life. (but now that the "damage" is done, dont forget to add a comment every week or so to bump it back up [​IMG] ) [​IMG] JJF

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

As I read this thread, I was wincing from post to post thinking "ouch.. FIH ain't gonna like this..."

12. STYLESTUDENT

My regret at starting the hijack. The article was about your goods and not those of others.

13. raley

raley Senior Member

The upper-end Ebay retailers are available to all of us and do not require a time or travel commitment for sale shopping on a certain day in December or July for the Bergdorf or whatever sale. Where I live, you couldn't find a discounted Barbera suit for about 250 miles.
    That's true. Â But the majority of sportshoppers live in and around major metropoli, thus the awful term "metrosexual". Â I find myself either buying something at retail if I *really* like it, and don't think that it'll last until sale time, or waiting for the Saks of Neiman's final, final, sales, when you can go into a brick and mortar store, and at no risk whatsoever, get a Canali suit for under $500 (no questions asked returns within 30 days), or if money is a little tighter, a Trend Corneliani suit (the slimmer cut of which I frankly prefer) for about $300. Â The only "can't pass it up deals" (and trust me, with my finances right now, nearly everything is a pass up) are those $250 (less with a coupon) Corneliani suits in a perfect size, or those rare $35 Paper Denim jeans (the actual production cost of those jeans, including materials, manufacture, transportation and treatment, is about that - wholesale is about double.)
    Are there any general guidelines to when these sales are going to be? Do they vary from store to store or are they general? I know usually there are before Thanksgiving sales - what are some other big times to go hit up these department stores for the 300 dollar suits and 30 dollar jeans?