• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HIIT Training

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I have been looking for a change of pace in my cardio routine and several people have suggested I try HIIT Training. I have been doing a little research and although it looks good on paper for some reason it just sound that effective to me. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this type of training or should I not even both and stick with the routines I've already got?

Here is my current cardio routine:
I do 45 minutes on the stepmill, I start off at about level 12 and end at about 16. then I'm off to the crosstrainer for 30-35 minutes at the max level of 25 and I finish with the treadmill on the highest incline (15) starting at a pace of 4.5 and end at 5. Then it's off to the ab room for weighted sit-ups and all that other fun and painful stuff and this is just cardio days, I sometimes mix up the times and machines, but this has been the key to my success.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do intervals on the bike and running. What are you trying to achieve?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, since january i've dropped 60+ lbs and I am getting pretty involved in weight and strength training, so i am just looking for a way to help burn up that last bit of fat, i'm also a little bored with my current routine and i feel like i've hit a plateau. i eat clean and my weight routine is solid, i am just looking for an extra push in the cardio department i guess...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Use the search function.
Lots of people have said lots of things about HIIT. You should have enough reading to make you want to throw up.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh i know, i've been doing that as well.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
The "superior fat-burning" claims of HIIT are overblown, possibly actually false. However, it's perfectly good exercise. It's a nice change of pace, and for some people (like myself) it's psychologically a lot more comfortable. When I run, I want to sprint as fast as I can. When I row, I want to go all out. Doing so, and alternating with recovery periods, lets me push myself a lot harder, and makes it a lot easier for me to maintain a routine. I actually look forward to interval sessions, whereas steady distance running appeals to me about as much as doing the dishes or vacuuming the living room. It feels like a chore. That said, it's probably not good to completely neglect longer aerobic cardio. I try to keep at least one long run (or occasional bike) in my weekly routine.

My personal experience, which is mostly from sprint intervals and 500m row intervals on an erg, is that lots of interval training really helps with recovery time, which makes sense, since you're more or less practicing recovery.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use high-intensity cardio in my workouts. Whether it's officially HIIT cardio, I don't know, but I do various distances. 100, 200, 400, and 800 meter runs with no more than 3 minutes between. Maybe one day, I'll do 10 X 200 meters with 2 minutes rest in between. Two days later, maybe 6 X 400 meters with 3 min. rest. I occasionally do 1 mile runs and every few weeks, I'll do a 5K. Never any more than a 5K. Two months ago, I ran a 15K and finished in the top third even thought I hadn't run more than a 5K in 20 years. The only thing(s) that hurt the next day were my nipples. I didn't realize they would be rubbed raw on a longer run.

For losing weight, traditional long slow cardio might be best. In addition, you have to be in pretty good shape to do sprints, so it's a bit advanced. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't recommend that a person 60 lbs. overweight start sprinting. For getting rid of that last bit of fat (as you mention), I find it excellent. YMMV

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
The "superior fat-burning" claims of HIIT are overblown, possibly actually false.

Yeah all the literature I've read show that interval training improves VO2max, power output and other performance-related measurements better than steady-state training, but nothing about fat burning.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the great advice, i am now down to 180lbs from 240lbs, i've never really been outta shape until the last year or so. i've been playing football since i was 13 (i'm 27 now) and always had to be bulky because i was on defense. now that i don't have to be bulky, i finally get a chance to lean out and be slimmer and i love it...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been trying to do some more intervals as a way to get in and out faster. If I can go in and do 15 minutes of intervals and feel more spent than with 30 minutes of straight cardio, it gives me the time to go do some core weight-work.

I've been trying them on the eliptical doing the intervals with both an increase in RPM and Resistance and then slowing/reducking for recovery. I think it might be better if I shorten the steps up a bit though...I have been doing something like 2-3 minutes (the machine does this automatically) and I think 1 minute might be a more draining process. Like someone else mentioned, I don't like feeling like I am not working hard...doesn't feel like working out if I'm not pushing my heartrate (hell...my 8 mile bike commute doesnt feel like working out until the very end if I am just going at a steady pace)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Isn't HIIT anaerobic?

It would be both. HIIT involves a constant effort at an elevated heart rate which makes it aerobic but it also has the intervals of anaerobic bursts of power.

1sinister1

Reaction score
Just like with weight training your body will most likely react differental to certain programs so you have to find what works best for you personally. I do some distance running but I would say the bulk of my cardio comes from hockey and playing flag football. Both would be good examples interval training since in hockey you skate for about 45 seconds and then your off and in football you run a play then rest.

If your going to run a standard HIIT program the one thing I personal think is important is the level of intensity. I have heard and seen some people use the elypitical but for me the right level of inensity cant be achieved. Outside of sports the only HIIT style cardio that has been effective for me is sprinting 200's as hard as I could then resting the other 200m. 8 sets of that is 2miles distance and you should be ready to pass out. I think having someone else out there with you helps to. A couple guys from my junior team and I used to do sprint workouts as dry land training in the off season. It was great because we were always racing one another. I think you have to be pretty disciplined to really push yourself on your own. For me I know I have an extra gear when im competing and it harder to give up.

As far as diet, if your not concerned with muscle mass, try doing your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. When I was in high school I used to have hockey practice on tuesday and friday morning before school. Back then I was at my lowest bodyfat hovering right around 7% and pretty much had an 8 pack.

Props on the 45 stepmill. After about 5 on that thing im about ready to blow my head off. For me cardio in the gym is just way to boring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads