• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also rewatched it a few months ago and was astounded how ****** the direction, plotting, cinematography and acting were.

lefty

oxfordamerican

Reaction score
I also rewatched it a few months ago and was astounded how ****** the direction, plotting, cinematography and acting were.

lefty

When I watched it, I was astounded by how good all those things were. Perhaps if we watched it together it would be just okay.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two things that are never going to happen: you and me watching a movie together and me watching that movie again.

lefty

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(1980_film)

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Nice list, although it's hard to call 9 1/2 Weeks or Metropolitan "highly underrated" or unknown.

While I realize it's a bit of an iconic 80's film, I get the feeling it is not taken seriously. I think it is still highly under rated...some of the best cinematography I've seen on this kind of film. And I had the impression it was kind of forgotten? Ok...how about Rourke's prior film... Cimino's Year of the Dragon? I really liked that one too. The female lead sucked, but she did have that cool loft apartment.

couple for the sci fi fans....

Cherry 2000 good fun.

Zardoz strange. No...make that really strange.

Last edited:

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paris, Texas. A true hidden gem.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of these are more obscure than others, but all fantastic films:

Sans Soleil (France, 1983)
The Face of Another (Japan, 1966)
Claire's Knee (France, 1970)
Love in the Afternoon (France, 1972)
Perfect Blue (Japan, 1997)
Tell No One (France, 2006)
Voices of a Distant Star (Japan, 2003)
The Girl Who Leaps Through Time (Japan, 2006)
Suicide Club (Japan, 2002)
La Sierra (Documentary, Colombia, 2005)
Memories of Murder (South Korea, 2003)
The Ballad fo Narayama (Japan, 1983)
Summer Hours (France, 2008)
The Secret of the Grain (France, 2008)

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wild Strawberries. Not underrated, but not well known enough.

Last edited:

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Wild Strawberries. Not underrated, but not well known enough.

By whom? Woody Allen and perhaps 47 other Americans have ever seen a Bergman film. I think it's safe to say that any "foreign" film is unknown to your garden variety "American". Wild Strawberries usually doesn't even make most people's top ten list of Bergman films.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cherry 2000 is a good call. Along those lines...

A Boy and His Dog

0.jpg

lefty

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Never seen that one. Watched a little of it...you're right, it is along those lines.

Another post apocalyptical "Mad max-ish film is....

Before Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles, Molly Ringwald starred in Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983). I thought this one was a lot of fun. I'm not really sure how unknown this film is though.

I hope I'm wrong about it's obscurity, but just in case I'm not, I happen to be watching one of the best road movies ever tonight...Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). Two guys racing their 55 chevy across the US. It stars Brian Wilson (yea, that Brian Wilson) as the mechanic and James Taylor (yea, that James Taylor) as the driver.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both excellent choices.

Electra Glide in Blue for Robert Blake when he was vital.

0.jpg

Bless the Beasts and the Children

Some say Stanley Kramer was slumming, but it worked for me when I was a kid and hit an early '70s anti-hunting sweet spot.

lefty

derfreshmaker

Reaction score
There are couple of movies that I think should be in any list of the most underrated movies.

1. Eyes Wide Shut
2. Wake in Fright

Wake in Fright is great. If you feel like expounding, I'd be interested to hear why you feel Eyes Wide Shut should be more highly rated.

To add to the thread, people have different ideas about what is unknown, but off the top of my head, some favorite late 60s/early 70s satires/black comedies are the Loved One, the Telephone Book, and Putney Swope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads