1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by L.R., Jan 21, 2010.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Pennies From Heaven is a weird movie. Definitely worth seeing.

2. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

And apparently, the next sequel in the trilogy is, according to reviews, the best one yet.

Can't wait to see Before Midnight. It just premiered at Sundance.

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

Watched Killer Joe last night and enjoyed it. I'm not sure many people saw it because of the NC-17. One of the better McConaughey performances I've seen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Watched a documentary on Paul Williams last night: Paul Williams Still Alive.

Paul Williams is arguably one of the greatest pop song writers and pretty much owned the '70s and early '80s: "Evergreen" - Streisand; "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters; "Old Fashioned Love Song" - Three Dog Night; "Fill Your Heart" - Bowie; and "The Rainbow Connection" for Kermit the Frog. He also was a hell of a funny celebrity and made numerous appearances on the variety, talk and game shows of the time. Finally blew up on coke and booze, but is now 20 years sober and still performing.

Anyway, that got me thinking about one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies: Brian DePalma's Phantom of the Paradise. A critical and box office bomb - except for Winnipeg where it was inexplicably an enormous hit - it has developed a bit of a cult following over the years.

An insanely chaotic musical horror it has some of the best of De Palma staging and editing, great production design, a stand-out performance by Gerrit Graham, William Finley's heartbreaking Winslow Leach, and of course, Paul Williams as Swan.

lefty

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

He will always be Little Enos in my heart.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Two Nick Stahl movies:

In the Bedroom and Bully.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Phantom of the Paradise is totally awesome and completely batshit. I caught it on late night tv once without knowing what it was and I was transfixed.

8. Jl29

Jl29 Member

Equilibrium.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Thanks, I've liked Nick Stahl since I saw him in Carnivale, always wondered if he was in anymore stuff besides that horrible Terminator sequel.

1 person likes this.
  10. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

In the Bedroom is GREAT. A flick that was celebrated at the time though seems to have been forgotten over the last few years. Bully, from what I recall, was an ok film though perhaps I should revisit it. I too think Stahl is a very good actor and someone I am surprised never gotten more higher profile roles consistently.

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

X3 on In The Bedroom. Amazing performances.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Caught this again last night. Not as insanely fun as it's "prequel", The Born Losers, but still pretty damn fantastic.

Billy Jack

lefty

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Twisted Obsession (1989) (aka 'Mad Monkey) Jeff Goldblum, Miranda Richardson & Liza Walker
    Weirrrd film. Once you see it, you won't soon forget it. Very hard to find the full version and perhaps only on VHS.
    Chopped version is all that seems to be commercially available. The missing scenes depicted incestuous moments between a brother and sister. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098407/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Josie and the Pussycats. Maybe not unknown but definitely underrated. Really funny satire of late 90s youth culture and youth oriented marketing.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  16. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

17. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Josie and the Pussycats in outer-space FTW.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

I can dig it.

lefty

19. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Original has the better theme song though, but no penis shaped rocket. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Better song. Interesting that they rotoscoped live performers for the band CUs.

Still not as cool as the Fat Albert opener.

lefty