• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wiker
Ten Inch Hero

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0829297/

NOT what I expected
lol8[1].gif

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
David Mamet's Spartan. One of the finest american films from the last ten years or so. No one has seen it.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny Amiga
David Mamet's Spartan. One of the finest american films from the last ten years or so. No one has seen it.

With Val Kilmer? I've saw it a few years back - liked it a lot. Speaking of underrated, I think Kilmer is very underrated as an actor. What say you?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score

I would have it somewhere near the bottom of the Mamet pile.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
With Val Kilmer? I've saw it a few years back - liked it a lot. Speaking of underrated, I think Kilmer is very underrated as an actor. What say you?
Agree, definitely. With the right script, he's amazing and Spartan might just be his finest performance ever. Some actors were born to do Mamet, I'd include Val in that club. And how good is he in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! (also kinda underrated in the sense that very few people saw it, but most who did love it)
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
I would have it somewhere near the bottom of the Mamet pile.
Not a large pile, but along with Homicide, Spartan is right there at the top in my opinion. As a film it's got serious flaws as there are parts of the plot that make very little sense after you figure out what the hell actually happens in the film and the ending is a disappointment after everything that came before (however, the closing shot is brilliant), but everything else makes up for those. Val's performance, the abstract nature of Mamet's dialogue (he works very, very well with the kind of clipped military lingo that makes up a sizeable portion of what's being said in the film) and the whole structure of the film. Especially everything in the first hour or so is amazing. Kinda loses it's steam after the meet with the ********, but fantastic filmmaking nonetheless.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Zoo- if you can get past the subject matter, beautifully shot and an interesting, unexpected take
GG Allin and the Murder Junkies- if you like watching a train wreck
True Romance - obviously not unknown, but somewhat forgotten
Someone mentioned The Thin Red Line- I second- New York Stories was also a good Nolte performance
Training Day
The English Patient
Waking Ned Divine; Butcher Boy
Down By Law
The Conversation
American Movie- hilarious

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Not a large pile, but along with Homicide, Spartan is right there at the top in my opinion. As a film it's got serious flaws as there are parts of the plot that make very little sense after you figure out what the hell actually happens in the film and the ending is a disappointment after everything that came before (however, the closing shot is brilliant), but everything else makes up for those. Val's performance, the abstract nature of Mamet's dialogue (he works very, very well with the kind of clipped military lingo that makes up a sizeable portion of what's being said in the film) and the whole structure of the film. Especially everything in the first hour or so is amazing. Kinda loses it's steam after the meet with the ********, but fantastic filmmaking nonetheless.

I love the hyper-stylised nature of "˜The Spanish Prisoner'. I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but I honestly think Rebecca Pidegon could have been a film icon of the "˜90s. Her performance is often described as "˜stilted' and 'wooden', but she works wonders with Mamet's verbiage. Her off-key performance harks back to the archetypal 'spider woman' of classic noirs. I find her completely unpredictable and quite intriguing.

I think it was Woody Allen that made a comment about Hitchock's films being well made but of no importance, no substance. That he ran out of new things to say from picture to picture. Granted, Woody Allen is probably the last person that should be making such comments, but he has a point. I feel this is the case with Mamet. The last decade simply saw him changing contexts and recycling a bunch of old ideas.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
I don't disagree entirely, but in my book Spartan represents a pretty big departure from his other work. The whole structure of the first half is pretty amazing for a film that could've so easily been a standard spy story. The way the film moves is phenomenal. I've never really seen anything quite like it.

I hear ya on Pidgeon tho, I've always liked her alot. Does a great turn in State & Main too (Spanish Prisoner isn't a favorite of mine however).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Agree, definitely. With the right script, he's amazing and Spartan might just be his finest performance ever. Some actors were born to do Mamet, I'd include Val in that club. And how good is he in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang! (also kinda underrated in the sense that very few people saw it, but most who did love it)

That coupled with the standard action movie plot number 32 (the furriners are taking our women, oh noes!!) made for an amazing experience in a delayed chain of meaning. Top Mamet for me too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads