Highlighting hair

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My hairstylist suggested that I put some highlights in my black hair (darker tones, nothing blond or radical like that).  Has anyone done this and been happy with the results?  And would it look cool or just out of place in a law firm?

2. TheMichael

TheMichael Member

Chase -

Don't do it man. I see so much downside and so little up. The
    'fashion statement' will be constantly misinterpreted -- if it
    is even a statement. See, it's happening already.

Often with issues of fashion, people are looking for validation
    and discard opinions contrary to that which they are looking for. So, if you are truly looking for an opinion: don't do it and here is why:

When I had long hair I loved the look -- in casual clothes, weekends after work etc. But, if I had to dress I just didn't like it -- I didn't feel like I was put together well -- I think highlights may do the same -- casually they may be great, for hanging out,dating etc. but, in the professional world there will be more occasion than not that you wish- well, lets just say, are hair hi lights the perfect accessory to your charcoal colored Joseph Aboud coat?

3. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

Darker tones are fine, they lighten the overall appearance of the hair, while not looking to unnatural.
    If he wants to but bright blond highlighs, etc. then no.

4. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Senior member

I'm think about highlights. I need to do something new with my hair. I'm bored with it. I have really thick so I can grow it long because afro-ish. My hair and the length of my face is similar to the picture. I want something subtle but different. Should I cut my hair shorter and then get the highlights or grow it out? Should I watch out for anything? What colors do you suggest? Or anything else I need to know?

[​IMG]

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

dont highlight your asian hair with any blond or light tones anymore that fad is gone.

6. West24

West24 Senior member

i do not think you should do it.

id also love to see the reaction at your gym. if they even notice.

7. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

8. greasypeanut

greasypeanut Well-Known Member

heh. well i have highlights in my hair. my hair is black and the highlights are a dark brown color. its dark and subtle enough where you might think that its just the lights playing tricks on your eyes. i feel that it adds texture to my otherwise boring black hair.

i dont think you should do it if ur hairstyle is like the one in the picture, i dont think it will look right. it looks textured enough

9. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Senior member

How long is your hair? Do you have a recent picture? I scoured the Internet can't really find anything.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Chase -

I agree.

11. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

You can do it but make it look as natural looking as possible. A good way to describe it to your colorist is " the Sun did it" look. Possibly a couple of shades lighter than your natural hair color. Nothing too obvious or drastic. The key here is finding a good colorist.

12. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

My hairstylist suggested that I put some highlights in my black hair...
    Depends. If you're doing pop-star law, maybe it is OK. That reminds me: whatever became of the poster that was retiring from heavy-metal roack-and-rollism to go to law school?

13. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I was toying with this idea as well, I've changed from dark blonde since when I was born to brown, and girls always commented on my natural highlights before they faded the last couple years. It's really hard to find any info on the net on "subtle" or "natural" highlighting for men since most guys seem to be going for the high-contrast douchebag look... Obviously I wouldn't want anyone to even guess that I had it done, so looking natural being the key. Is it too difficult or hard to find a stylist competent enough to do it?

14. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Chase -

Often with issues of fashion, people are looking for validation
    and discard opinions contrary to that which they are looking for. So, if you are truly looking for an opinion: don't do it and here is why:

When I had long hair I loved the look -- in casual clothes, weekends after work etc. But, if I had to dress I just didn't like it -- I didn't feel like I was put together well -- I think highlights may do the same -- casually they may be great, for hanging out,dating etc. but, in the professional world there will be more occasion than not that you wish- well, lets just say, are hair hi lights the perfect accessory to your charcoal colored Joseph Aboud coat?

Wow. You've only made 5 posts in 8 years?

15. evilbananas

evilbananas Senior member

Wow. You've only made 5 posts in 8 years?

The thread was started in 2002. [​IMG]