• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest Paying Jobs in Texas and Houston (two article links)

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Last night I ate dinner at a nice restaurant here in Fort Worth, and when I walked out there was a Murcielago, an R8, an Aston Martin and a Bentley in the VIP valet slots. I guarantee you that none of the owners of those cars had any of the jobs listed in these links, which is why articles like this are always funny to me.

These days there are plenty of farmers and ranchers who are making more in a month than those doctors are in a year, just by sitting on their porch and listening to the oil/gas whistle up out of the ground.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
what's funny someone will say 225k isn't a lot of money

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what's funny someone will say 225k isn't a lot of money

I guess according to styleforum standards it's not but in the real world it puts you in the top 1.5-2%.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess according to styleforum standards it's not but in the real world it puts you in the top 1.5-2%.

I highly doubt most SF makes nearly as much, mainly because most are very young..

Anyway yea 225k is more than enough to live comfortable but not luxurious life.

Philip

Reaction score
imo it is if it's a wage

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I highly doubt most SF makes nearly as much, mainly because most are very young..
Anyway yea 225k is more than enough to live comfortable but not luxurious life.

It depends on the standard you define 'luxury' as and where you live tbh. 225k is middle class in some major cities, but that's because most people there are professionals and drive up the cost of living in the more desirable areas.

225k a year lets you buy a nice house on the beach/your own private island in say, Brazil or living pretty swankily in Argentina.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago I flew into Houston for an interview with a multinational oil company. The moment I got out of the airport and into the taxi I wasn't feeling it and as I made the forty mile trip to the outer ring of "downtown" I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel. The interview went well and they eventually offered me a job making a good deal more than what I was making at the time, but I declined. Just couldn't see myself living there for any extended period of time.

I've always loved Texans and I think the state is home to some of the nicest people on the planet, but Houston, San Antonio, Dallas et.al are just damn depressing cities for me. Too much sprawl, too many cars.

Hannerhan

Reaction score

A couple years ago I flew into Houston for an interview with a multinational oil company. The moment I got out of the airport and into the taxi I wasn't feeling it and as I made the forty mile trip to the outer ring of "downtown" I was pretty much ready to throw in the towel. The interview went well and they eventually offered me a job making a good deal more than what I was making at the time, but I declined. Just couldn't see myself living there for any extended period of time.
I've always loved Texans and I think the state is home to some of the nicest people on the planet, but Houston, San Antonio, Dallas et.al are just damn depressing cities for me. Too much sprawl, too many cars.

Yeah I think it's natural and reasonable to feel that way. But the reality is that if someone is on the high end of the income spectrum and can afford to live in the middle of the city, they just don't see the cars or the sprawl that you saw when coming in from Intercontinental. And in Fort Worth where I live, you get the benefits of Dallas but with a 50% discount on housing in the nicer neighborhoods and much much less traffic in general. So while I live in the middle of the largest land-locked metropolitan area in the U.S., which stretches East of me for a good 45 miles, I just don't experience that. My experience is that there are 4 buildings within 9 blocks of my house that were designed by Pritzker winners, my commute is 3 minutes, the restaurants are great, and we put a total of 18k miles per year on our two vehicles, including shuttling 3 kids around. It ain't bad.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I think it's natural and reasonable to feel that way. But the reality is that if someone is on the high end of the income spectrum and can afford to live in the middle of the city, they just don't see the cars or the sprawl that you saw when coming in from Intercontinental. And in Fort Worth where I live, you get the benefits of Dallas but with a 50% discount on housing in the nicer neighborhoods and much much less traffic in general. So while I live in the middle of the largest land-locked metropolitan area in the U.S., which stretches East of me for a good 45 miles, I just don't experience that. My experience is that there are 4 buildings within 9 blocks of my house that were designed by Pritzker winners, my commute is 3 minutes, the restaurants are great, and we put a total of 18k miles per year on our two vehicles, including shuttling 3 kids around. It ain't bad.

I hear you, for sure. I think it's more of a hangup I have coming from a very european, walkable city where I can reach all parts of the city in 30-45 minutes and basically never have to use my car. I couldn't see myself reverting to a lifestyle where I either had to limit myself to a small part of the city or hop into my car to go farther afield. I think it's something a lot of people considering a move to cities with sprawl struggle with if they care about the urban landscape.

But I definitely understand how you could be happy living like that in the DFW area. Texas is a sweet place, just maybe not for me.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last night I ate dinner at a nice restaurant here in Fort Worth, and when I walked out there was a Murcielago, an R8, an Aston Martin and a Bentley in the VIP valet slots. I guarantee you that none of the owners of those cars had any of the jobs listed in these links, which is why articles like this are always funny to me.
These days there are plenty of farmers and ranchers who are making more in a month than those doctors are in a year, just by sitting on their porch and listening to the oil/gas whistle up out of the ground.

You're confusing Working with income.

I could have money from Trust funds, 2 lottery wins and an oil field, but I still don't have a job. Thats a list of jobs, not "ways to be rich" list.

Hannerhan

Reaction score

You're confusing Working with income.
I could have money from Trust funds, 2 lottery wins and an oil field, but I still don't have a job. Thats a list of jobs, not "ways to be rich" list.

Forget trust fund/old money or people that got rich off their land. A doctor who owns his own business is considered to "have a job", but for the purposes of surveys like this, your typical small business owner isn't included. I'm just pointing out that many thousands of people right now in Texas are making millions (or certainly lots more than $250k a year) just because they have a piece of some business in real estate, energy, etc. And from what I see on a daily basis, it's never the doctors and lawyers and pilots and such that have the big money. It's the guy that owns some small business nobody has ever heard of.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1, A small business will get you more than 250k per year. However like someone else said if you are taking income 250k is very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads