• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

High-Waisted Trousers and the "Poof"

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I contemplated the purchase of a pair of high waisted trousers today with a single, forward facing pleat. The pants are medium-trim with a nice drape when fulyl erect, however, the longer rise on these trousers leads to a considerable bunching of the fabric around the crotch when seated. Im still on the fence about making a purchase. As always, opinions on the matter are appreciated.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Even though I just said so on AIM... GET 'EM!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i disagree! if you have to think twice then you will only regeat it later! coz you wont have the confidence to wear them with grace!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the the appeal of pleats? But if it's too egregious, don't buy them. Tailoring them wouldn't work too well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need to ask a question or think twice DON'T buy. You will never be happy with them.

mussel

Reaction score
Get them. Where can I find such pants?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I contemplated the purchase of a pair of high waisted trousers today with a single, forward facing pleat. The pants are medium-trim with a nice drape when fulyl erect, however, the longer rise on these trousers leads to a considerable bunching of the fabric around the crotch when seated. Im still on the fence about making a purchase. As always, opinions on the matter are appreciated.

Butthead: He he he he, you said "erect." He he he he.

Seriously, how long is the rise? I find 11 inches is just about too much for me and 10 is good, but only for very fashion forward type pants. I'm curious what works for you.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Butthead: He he he he, you said "erect." He he he he.

My thought was that if the pants actually drape well when he is fully erect, there must be quite a bit of extra fullness in the crotch.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
My thought was that if the pants actually drape well when he is fully erect, there must be quite a bit of extra fullness in the crotch.
nah, he's Japanese

raley

Reaction score
How are pants supposed to fit? My pockets always bulge when I take a step and the crotch "poofs" when I sit down. It is quite annoying. Would bespoke pants fix this?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
How are pants supposed to fit? My pockets always bulge when I take a step and the crotch "poofs" when I sit down. It is quite annoying. Would bespoke pants fix this?

I think it's just one of those normal things that you can suddenly start obsessing about when you think about your clothes too much, like "Oh my GOD! How come I never really noticed those horrible creases that my pants get behind the knee! Maybe I should be sitting differently!"

damonallan

Reaction score
I'm thinking they have forward pleats and long rise for a reason...suspenders??

Do they have loops?

Buttons inside?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I've seen them, they don't have belt loops. I prefer my trousers without, to be honest.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 238 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40