• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high vs. low armholes

christian

Reaction score
I read some posts where people talked about why they liked a suitt because it had a high vs. low armholes. What difference does it make?

And, why would better shirts have higher armholes?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
High armholes are more comfortable, because they allow for greater freedom of movement by the arms, especially if the sleevehead is large and there is some drape in the chest and over the blades.  They also help a jacket fit better and stay in place when you move.  On a jacket with large armholes, when you move your arms, the whole jacket shifts position somewhat dramatically.  When the armhole is high, you can move your arms, the body and collar of the jacket tend to stay in place.

With shirts, the principle is pretty much the same.

christian

Reaction score
Manton,

Is this something you can differentiate only by wearing the suit or shirt? Or, can you see it with the naked eye? Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hard to tell with shirts. With suits, it is more visible to the eye, but wearing is the only real test.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Doesn't a high armhole also give a slimmer arm cut?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Doesn't a high armhole also give a slimmer arm cut?
Not necessarily.  Tailors can cut a fairly wide arm, and then pleat the top of the sleeve into the shoulder (or sleevehead).  This is the great "trick" of Neapolitan tailoring.  Of course, on a Neapolitan coat, only the sleevehead is large; the arm tapers significantly down to the wrist.

The point is that there is no necessary correlation between armhole and sleeve width.  However, it throws off the proportion if the coat if the sleeve is too wide for the body, so good tailors don't do that.  But they could.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ 26 Oct. 2004, 4:17) Doesn't a high armhole also give a slimmer arm cut?
Not necessarily. Tailors can cut a fairly wide arm, and then pleat the top of the sleeve into the shoulder (or sleevehead). This is the great "trick" of Neapolitan tailoring. Of course, on a Neapolitan coat, only the sleevehead is large; the arm tapers significantly down to the wrist. The point is that there is no necessary correlation between armhole and sleeve width. However, it throws off the proportion if the coat if the sleeve is too wide for the body, so good tailors don't do that. But they could.
So, if I'm getting this right, a slim cut requires a high armhole, but a high armhole doesn't necessarily create a slim cut. Makes sense.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this one tailoring book I own (I think I found it on Manton's Amazon wish list, so I went and ordered a copy for myself) it says that the cutting edge of the armhole should be about 1" below the center of the armpit. Sounds about right to me.

Low armholes really suck.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, if I'm getting this right, a slim cut requires a high armhole, but a high armhole doesn't necessarily create a slim cut. Makes sense.
Well, I think there's really two different things under discussion here: the cut of the actual sleeves of the jacket, and the cut of the body of the jacket.

As a matter of sihouette, these ought to be in proportion or else the jacket will look cartoonish.

Yet, in principle, tailors can make the sleeves as wide as they want, and the body as baggy as they want. For example, in New York in the 1950s and 60s, during the sack suit's heyday, some custom tailors offered bespoke sack suits that had very small armholes, but fairly baggy bodies.  The RTW sack suits had large armholes.

Conversely, I suppose it would be possible to cut a jacket with very big armholes, but tight shoulders and a fitted skirt.  It would be hard to make a slim chest, however, but I suppose it could be done.

Of course, low armholes give a coat a kind of "droopy" look which is not slimming, no matter how trim the coat may be in other respects.

rilian

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, does higher armholes inherently mean smaller armholes? Or are we talking only about position in relation to the body of the suit?

undarted

Reaction score
Generally yes, but armholes can be cut at various curves. Think of the letter "J" - a small armhole refers to the length of the entire arc.

A high armhole refers more specifically to the vertical part of the J, the stem. Higher armholes generally are cut so that there is more curve to the "J" - a shorter stem.

However, I have seen, both in rtw, and mtm, long stems and short tails. That would work if men's arms worked in primarily a flapping manner.

But since our arms generally move back and forward in a pendulum manner, the more logical approach to armholes would be shorter stems, longer tails in the "j"

In short, two armholes can have the exact same size (diameter), but they can be cut in a way so that one is higher (shorter stem, longer tail) than the other (longer stem, shorter tail).

A good thing to look out for (personally) is a curve that cuts deeper into the chest. This provides more mobility and gives you a higher armhole.

I'm no expert though, just my personal observations and experiences.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Another virtue to high armholes in shirts is that the sleeve seems to ride up less when you're wearing a jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads