• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High rise / Low rise denim

modual

Reaction score
What would you guys say are the advantages and disadvantages of both ? Which body types suit which kind of rise ? What is the highest / lowest rise you would wear and why ?

Max

Reaction score
High rise can smooth out a stomach and prevent muffin tops (see urbandictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=muffin+top) , but can also make you look like a 40 year old mother of 3 if you go too high. Higher jeans can also create a saggy-ass look if you don't hike them up. Low is good if you're really skinny, but too low and you get massive plumbers crack. Low jeans on many people create muffin tops, which are to be avoided at all costs. I like my jeans lower cut than 501s, but not low-rise.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you measure rise in jeans?

I like the fit of my Crate James IV (if only the waist was PERFECT and wasn't loose)

Max

Reaction score
Basically you measure up from the place where the inseams meet. Back is usually higher than front.

Anders

Reaction score
I've also been wondering about this. In particular, why do people associate low rise with "nut hugging"? In my mind, low rise means the jeans ride lower on your hips, not higher/tighter below.

I don't think I've had many true low rise jeans, but I always wear them lower on my hips. I would prefer that my new RRDS were lower on my hips because I like wearing jeans lower but without a saggy butt. I am also finding that I am wider lower on my hips. On my RRDS, there is slack in the waistband but more fitted in the waist. I need a belt to keep them up just so they don't have a saggy butt. I would prefer them hanging off my hips.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medium rise > *. The highest rise I wear is a Helmut Lang Classic 5 pocket, which is around 11 inches in the front, 14 from the back, IIRC.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think 11 is about medium-high. My lowest rise pair of jeans is my Levi's Skinners. 8" rise
crazy.gif
They would be, what I consider, nut-crushing. I think lower rise jeans are often considered to be 'nut-hugging' as well, because if they are low, and they are loose, they will have a tendency to fall or slip down, especially when you're sitting down or leaning over. When that happens... Somebody get some spackle and seal that crack! This is why (I think) low rise jeans NEED to be somewhat tighter fitting in the waist/crotch, just so it doesnt slip/fall off.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisisme
is 11" high or low or mediuM?
Medium, with a dash of high. They sit like a classic trouser, about a 1/2 inch under my belly button when standing. My lowest jeans are around a 9.5 inch rise in the front.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
I think 11 is about medium-high.

My lowest rise pair of jeans is my Levi's Skinners. 8" rise
crazy.gif
They would be, what I consider, nut-crushing.

I think lower rise jeans are often considered to be 'nut-hugging' as well, because if they are low, and they are loose, they will have a tendency to fall or slip down, especially when you're sitting down or leaning over. When that happens... Somebody get some spackle and seal that crack! This is why (I think) low rise jeans NEED to be somewhat tighter fitting in the waist/crotch, just so it doesnt slip/fall off.

Yeah, I have some Skinners and they're low as hell. It's just about right though.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Front rise means very little. APC NS will sit lower easier with their 11 in. rise than RR with their 10.5 in. rise because APC NS doesn't have as much of a bias in the waist. Their back rise is much lower, so the rear doesn't sag nearly as much.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
sorry to revive an old thread, but i'm looking for some advice on the ideal rise for my body type (145 pounds, 5'7, broad shoulders, skinny legs).

i have a pair of APC petit standards, but i cannot pull them up high enough, so they do not suit my proportions. i need jeans with a higher rise, but not sure how high is ideal.

my dior 19s look a lot better than the petit standards, i can pull them up higher, but i'm wondeirng if i should go with an even longer rise.

people have suggested lvc 501 44 and apc NS, but would like to know what else i should try as i'll work on these jeans for a long time if they fit well..
suggestions very welcome thanks

Curious_George

Reaction score
What constitutes a high or low rise I believe also depends on your height. My most comfortable rise seems to be between 10.5" and 11", which might seem kind of high to some people. But I'm 6ft with naturally longer legs and rise. When I wear something around 10.5" they fall low enough that they look like a mid-low rise on me.

What sucks is that I'm only a 30/31 waist, which makes it difficult to even find a 10.5" rise. I don't know why rise is tied exclusively to waist size. I'm sure girth makes a difference but so does height.

Anyway, I've had luck with Nom De Guerre's classic fit jeans. I'd say they're pretty similar to APC NS but with a little higher rise. They might be hard to find at this point though with NDG being shut down and all. Other than that, LVC 47s are worth a look if you're looking into Levi's. Warehouse jeans also usually have higher rises.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Curious_George
What constitutes a high or low rise I believe also depends on your height.

More torso length then height. Some people will have short legs and long torsos. Others the other way. Same overall height but different rise needed to sit in the same spot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads