• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Rise Jeans: The Appeal?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, reading the PBJ thread has led me to ask something I've been wondering. I know a lot of you here wear Samurai, Sugar Cane, and other brands with rises that to me seem unwearably high (close to 11" or even higher). My jeans are all sub-10". How do you do it? Does that high of a rise not really feel so high, or do you prefer to wear jeans above the hips, or what? I'm not trying to rip on anyone, it's just rather alien to my attitude vis a vis denim. Maybe if we could all lift our shirts and show where the waists of our jeans hit relative to our navels, I would understand (not that I'm suggesting this method).

Now, maybe the fact that I'm shorter than Sauce, cheap, braidkid, etc. has something to do with it. From the pictures I've seen, Samurais and whatnot look good on the aforementioned, but I can't imagine wearing them, which is unfortunate because they're tempting. But seriously, a 9.5" rise (on PBJs, for instance) to me sounds like nothing to worry about. I know the rise needs to be proportionally higher for taller guys, but I'm still pretty bemused by the talk of APC Hipsters being "ball-hurtingly low" and all of that.

(If you're doing it because you like wearing repros of the high rise jeans of yore -- and must therefore acquiesce to tradition -- then okay. My question is directed at people who wear high rise whether on a repro model or not. Please take the comment as an honest inquiry.)

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it probably has to do with people having different builds. Some people are just built to wear repro fits while others don't look good/don't fit well in them.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's funny is that 10" and higher rises are considered the norm, but if you spend enough time in this forum, you are led to think that 8" rises and below are the only acceptable measurement. That if you are not bordering on male cameltoe, then your jeans are too baggy.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I think it has to do with torso length and proportion, mostly. I know it *feels* like a huge difference when you put them on, but we're really talking a matter of just a couple inches at most, from, say, a 9.5" rise to an 11.5" rise. Different body types can vary radically, so the idea that a two-inch higher rise looks fine on someone who's a bit taller and has a longer torso isn't that strange.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Im six and half feet tall and the sda 103's were much too low rise for me. I had to graduate up to the Samurais (especially for the inseam length) and they look and feel perfectly on me. I think it's all about proportions.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
What's funny is that 10" and higher rises are considered the norm, but if you spend enough time in this forum, you are led to think that 8" rises and below are the only acceptable measurement. That if you are not bordering on male cameltoe, then your jeans are too baggy.
That's not the impression I've gotten at all. Seems to me like the majority of regular posters wear what I would call high rise jeans and place rises of 9.5" and below on a spectrum from low to really goddamn low. Sauce: Yeah, what I'm wondering is, does an 11.5" rise fit someone like you the way a 9.5" rise fits me? In other words, are the people wearing high rise jeans actually getting fits like mine (proportioned for their bodies), or are they just accustomed to a higher waistband than me? Either way, I think some of the really nice brands leave me out in the cold. Obviously the rise usually increases in length for the larger waist sizes, but some brands use high rises even for their sub-30" waist sizes.

Ott

Reaction score
I sag most of my jeans on my hips anyway so a mid-highish rise jeans work better. Usually. (depends on the rest of the cut)

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
My Dior's are a 10" rise. This is fairly high compared to my other jeans. I like the higher rises if only because I can wear them low and I'm not flashing the pube beard most often visible with the LA jean/tee crowd.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Most of my jeans have a 9" rise and I'm about 6'1.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
From the pictures I've seen, Samurais and whatnot look good on the aforementioned, but I can't imagine wearing them, which is unfortunate because they're tempting. But seriously, a 9.5" rise (on PBJs, for instance) to me sounds like nothing to worry about. I know the rise needs to be proportionally higher for taller guys, but I'm still pretty bemused by the talk of APC Hipsters being "ball-hurtingly low" and all of that.
well, I think it's a bit more complicated than you're making it out to be. For example a pair of New Standards and a pair of diors have roughly the same front rise, but the diors feel far, far roomier in the crotch. I think this is due to the lowered yoke and elongated back rise. With regards to the XX-005, something about the design just conspires to make it really unforgiving. It isn't just the front rise, it just feels really shallow. So despite the fact that people tend to emphasize the front rise, it isn't necessarily a good indicator of how the top block fits; there are lots of other factors that go into it. For example the back rise, the shape and size of the back yoke, the size and placement of the pockets, where the jeans are "meant" to be worn, etc etc.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I did no such thing. I merely stated what my rise was in comparison to my height.

Now, if only you'd tell this to the many people who emphasize certain things in Men's Clothing as being definitive of the fit in that area...

Ott

Reaction score
whoops, I didn't mean to quote your post Jovan
smile.gif
I edited it. Sorry about that
blush.gif
EDIT- and for the record, I'm about 6ft tall and all the jeans I own have a rise of 10" or higher. The only pair I'd consider to be remotely high would be my RB11s. EDIT2- wait I lied. I have a pair of Nudie Svens that have a rise of 9.5 or so.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It's okay. I won't **** my wrists... this time.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actual number of inches doesn't matter in determining whether or not a rise is "low" or "high." PROPORTION means everything. Imagine you could strech or shrink a pair of jeans and make while keeping the proportions all the same. The length of the rise would increase and decrease as well, wouldn't it? This is why trying to say "a rise of XX inches is too low/high/just right/etc" makes no sense without the waist and inseam.

For example, a 9" rise on a 28" waist is equivalent to a 11.6" rise on a 36" waist.
Whereas a 12" rise on a 28" waist would be proportional to a 15.4" rise on a 36" waist.

Also, you need to keep in mind the BACK RISE as well, not just the front rise. For example, APC Hipster has a relatively low back rise compared to most men's jeans with a similar front rise, meaning that there will be less room for your junk and your crack will show easier (so maybe it's a good idea to just stick to men's jeans).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
OP needs to stick to wearin frankie b's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads