• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Rise Jeans: The Appeal?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the "contest same"(which are a limited edition run of samurais that i think BiG had) were the s0500 model not 5000. The 500 seems to be a bit slimmer and has a slight taper compared to the 5000. Samurai also has a slim model now, 710, and they're 19oz. I loved the fit of the samurai jeans when i was in BiG a few months ago. I'm tall and have the kind of waist that can pull off sammies, but they didn't have my size back then. BiG got a shipment recently of some stuff(including PBJs) so check there.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Yes, the contest jeans are the 500 cut. The SDA 103's were too slim cut and low rise for me and I was looking for a regular fitting straight leg, so I went for the 5000. However, they fit me in the thighs the exact same way that Cheap's 500's fit him. I'm very satisfied with them. The 500's are a bit slimmer in the thighs, have a higher rise and taper 2 inches (apparently the taper is at the calf and it goes out to a straight leg at the hem, according to Gordon). The 500's will probably be my next purchase.

Here are the SDA 103's:
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...595#post331595

and here are the 5000's:

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...588#post336588

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
my job is to fit people properly in their garments.
the persons hight has little bearing on their rise. trousers come in short, regular,long,and xlong rise. many times i will fit a 6 foot guy in a short rise.
and a 5'4" guy in a regular rise. it has to do with the hight of the pelvis.
so many young guys try to wear trousers down on their hips like jeans.
it looks like they have a load of c..p in their pants. this applys to jeans also.
pick a jean with a crotch that comes up to a comfortable and the waist
reaches your normal belt line.
hint: take your measurements ,front and back rise, waist,seat, and inseam.
write them on a card and keep it in your wallet. when shopping put a tape
measure in your pocket. measure the jeans and discard the ones that dont
measure up. this will reduce the trips to the fitting room by 90%.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
hint: take your measurements ,front and back rise, waist,seat, and inseam. write them on a card and keep it in your wallet. when shopping put a tape measure in your pocket. measure the jeans and discard the ones that dont measure up. this will reduce the trips to the fitting room by 90%.
that's a great idea. i do many online impulse buys at work and it would be nice to have my measurements handy. thank you, sir.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i think thats weird that sd-103s are too low for you. i complained that they were too high when i first got them. they are a very 'diplomatic' fit IMHO, and have that old school feel to them. i guess i have an abnormally short pelvis area? i dunno -- but glad you found something that fits. i wanted the 5000's really badly but i got these 103's for a ridiculously good price

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads