• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Rise Jeans: The Appeal?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
For a 6' tall guy with a 31-32" waist, I've always gone for jeans under 10". I think 9.5-9" is right about where I like to be. When I was shopping for RB's, trying on the RB6 vs. RB15s was the difference to me of putting on a left shoe on my right foot. I knew nothing good would come of it.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my jeans to sit on my hips, but enjoy the comfort of a little extra ball room. Therefore, the slightly higher rise jeans, slung down on my hips, leave the boys with plenty of space to relax.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
well, I think it's a bit more complicated than you're making it out to be.

For example a pair of New Standards and a pair of diors have roughly the same front rise, but the diors feel far, far roomier in the crotch. I think this is due to the lowered yoke and elongated back rise. With regards to the XX-005, something about the design just conspires to make it really unforgiving. It isn't just the front rise, it just feels really shallow.

So despite the fact that people tend to emphasize the front rise, it isn't necessarily a good indicator of how the top block fits; there are lots of other factors that go into it. For example the back rise, the shape and size of the back yoke, the size and placement of the pockets, where the jeans are "meant" to be worn, etc etc.

The reason that the XX-005 "conspires to be unforgiving" is because of the thickness of where all the denim meets in the crotch.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand why rise matters that much. I'm probably missing something, but to me it seems like the look of a high rise jean and a low rise jean should be the same, its just a matter of where they sit. I mean, unless you're tucking in a shirt, wouldn't they be indistinguishable?

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have yet to find a raw jean to fit me well. I like my APC Hipster but I feel .5 or 1" more would be nice. Rise on the APC NS were too much..I guess I need a 10" or so.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
I don't really understand why rise matters that much. I'm probably missing something, but to me it seems like the look of a high rise jean and a low rise jean should be the same, its just a matter of where they sit. I mean, unless you're tucking in a shirt, wouldn't they be indistinguishable?

The problem is that most people wear their jeans on their hips these days in which case the rise obviously starts to make a huge difference...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's a lot that goes into it besides just the measurement. I find it unreal when people talk about APCNS having a "high rise" because I barely have enough room in them, but some of those people have no ass, etc. But yes, some of us do (at least sometimes) just like to have them come up a bit higher - for one thing an extra .5-.75" of rise means a lot in terms of whether a shirt will stay tucked in, etc. When I'm trying to actually do work in jeans, I wear something like the Uniqlo greenlines that are higher and give me both more room to move and a more secure waistband.

fatty

Reaction score
I thought this thread was about ladies jeans rising over the last six months or so. Rising to bellybutton level in some cases even. I was wondering if people think it looks good or not...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Only if the girl is so hot that anything looks good on her.

BTW, when I talk about men's higher rise jeans, they don't look like mom jeans (on me at least) - they sit a bit low and scrunch up some so they really don't look a lot different than lower rise jeans.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
I thought this thread was about ladies jeans rising over the last six months or so. Rising to bellybutton level in some cases even. I was wondering if people think it looks good or not...

No way. I like to see hip bones peeking out.

Responses to other posts coming at a later time . . .

swooc

Reaction score
I used to only wear low rise but ever since i jumped on the japanese repro bandwagon, i've only been wearing high rise. I put on a pair of one of my low rise jeans the other day and it was really uncomfortable. It's almost like my body evolved in that small period of time between the transition.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Some girls aren't meant to wear low rise jeans. I've seen too many girls squeezing into too tight and too low of jeans on campus creating the dreadful muffin top effect. I feel that with jeans such as pbj(it's not just the rise, but also the construction around the crotch, ass, top of thigh area), i have to wear them well below my hips which is definitely unnatural for where i should be wearing my jeans. I don't know how people are saying the NS is a high rise either. You can have them sit on your hips easy without have a saggy ass. I don't understand guys who sag their jeans off their ass though. I see some people doing it and i'm sorry but i just don't think it looks good regardless of how low the rise is because it makes your proportion strange when your belt is hanging off the ass. I do not understand very high rise jeans though, because i feel lost in them sometimes. Although, with jeans such as samurai, if you don't sag them off of your ass a few inches below your hips, they fit fine and are more comfortable than PBJs. I remember being in BiG and thinking the samurais weren't as bad as people made them out to be(i even sized down 2 on the s5000). If samurais weren't so darn expensive i'd probably be all over them. I'm tall, and have an ass for a guy, and i'm able to wear mid rise(which you guys call high rise for some reason) with little problem. I have low rise jeans, a bit lower than the pbjs too, and i sag them, but i'd rather wear them at the hips instead of below. I do agree with francis in that a girl with a good body usually looks fantastic in low rise jeans. I'll be sure to "study" this as i go to class later in the day.
wink.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
The problem is that most people wear their jeans on their hips these days in which case the rise obviously starts to make a huge difference...
Exactly. I understand some people want to give their "boys" room, but when it starts hanging about two inches below where your stuff ends, there's a problem. It starts to look like a sloppy fit, which almost goes into Phat Farm jeans territory. Not pretty.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****

Like j said, it works on women who look good in anything. In theory it could be sort of a retro look, but that works much better with slacks, not jeans. Personally, I think a woman has to have a pretty spectacular body to keep high-rise jeans from looking like the dreaded Mom Jeans. And if she's got that good a body, she'd look better still in normal-to-low rise jeans.

Give me enough time to get used to the look, and my opinion may change, though. Who knows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads