• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Quality Suede Protector Spray

Uunottaja

Reaction score
I could not find a thread handling this subject exactly, so here we go:

I've just purchased a nice pair of Sutor Mantellassi's loafers, and am now looking for a place to order Saphir or something similar. Sadly the Hanger Project did not have any Saphir protector spray, and in general I'm finding it difficult to find anything else than Kiwi. I'm not that familiar with American web stores as I am European and only here for 6 months. What do you people use to your suede Edward Greens, G&Gs and other good shoes and where do you get it?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chicagobred

Reaction score
Funny, I've in the same situation, and it is seriously frustrating. Nobody in the US currently stocks Saphir Invulner, and those that did stock it no longer have it and don't know when they're going to get more. There are apparently problems with importing it, so much so that Saphir is looking at changing the formula.

I've given up trying to get the Saphir suede spray, so the next best thing is to find a suede spray that doesn't contain silicone. The only other suede spray that I've found that specifically lists no silicone is the Allen Edmonds spray: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF644_1_40000000001_-1

I'm going to the store to pick it up today. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I have to say I never found the Saphir Invulner or the Saphir Renovateur Spray to be very good.

AFAIK Saphir isn't changing the formula but the way the product is packaged as an aerosol it creates problems in shipping.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used just about any brand of suede waterproofing spray that is available at any shoe repair store with excellent results. They will look darker once sprayed but will lighten again. I've used them on Lobbs, C&J as well as natural bucks by Polo.

Gerry

Reaction score
I have to say I never found the Saphir Invulner or the Saphir Renovateur Spray to be very good.
AFAIK Saphir isn't changing the formula but the way the product is packaged as an aerosol it creates problems in shipping.

I had an odd experience buying Saphir Invulner a few weeks ago. I tried to order it from a Fine Pair of Shoes website and could not due to the Export of aerosol spray cans being prohibited by all International Postal Services. However when I went to Valmours website I was able to order it and have it delivered which makes me wonder is the prohibition on aerosols just a UK regulation.

I can't comment as to weather it's any good or not as I've just last week used it and only time will tell. Another suede protector I have used in the past is one from Ecco and found it to work very well both as a waterprooing agent and at preventing stains once any spillage was wipped off quickly with a damp cloth.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby Allison also stocks it in several colors.

Uunottaja

Reaction score
Thank for all the replies. I was able to find one more can from On the Fly in medium brown, but it seems Saphir is pretty much out of stock from the whole US at the moment.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Any update on this? I am looking for a good protector

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Has anyone actually compared Saphir and Allen Edmonds? I am in Japan at the moment and Saphir can be had here for like $25 a bottle. Or I can wait until I'm back in the USA in December and get the AE stuff.

trevorplease

Reaction score
Bump. Anyone got updated info?

Also, is there a difference between waterproofer and protector?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads