• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Quality Dress Shirts?

Kou

Reaction score
What are some of the names of brands with top quality dress shirts?

I mostly mean the quality of the material itself because I plan to take it to a tailor to get it to fit perfectly but the quality and feel of the shirt make a big difference in my opinion. What are the known good brands? I only plan to buy a few so I don't mind spending a bit.

Thanks

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search the forum buddy, discussed to death before and then some. There was a thread only a few months ago on this topic which pretty much covered most, if not all, the major shirt brands that are highly desirable.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head

Kiton, Charvet, Isaia, Fray, Borrelli, Attolini Finamore, Turnbull & Asser, Brioni, And brands like Zegna and the companies they make for I.E Tom Ford use really nice fabrics with pretty good construction although not on the level of Kiton and Attolini. Kiton's Fabrics and Collars are amazing.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not bump the old thread guys instead of starting a new one.

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was gonna link it on this post but im having a hard time finding it.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best shirts are made by custom tailors or custom shirtmakers.

Buying a premade shirt and then having it ripped apart for a fitting is backwards thinking.

Custom/Bespoke Tailors are not the same as alteration tailors. Some alteration tailors are also bespoke tailors who prefer to do alterations and some do both. Some people do not even call alteration tailors tailors. Real tailors know how to make garments while non-tailors alter premade garments. Some tailors don't know how to make shirts. Some custom shirtmakers call themselves shirt tailors. And, of course, skirt making skills vary from maker to maker. And don't forget, manufactures are not tailors. Salesmen are told what to say about the products in the store- the person who tells the salesman what to say isn't a custom shirtmaker either, so you can't expect much from them.

A real shirt maker or tailor who makes shirts starts with asking the customer what the shirt is for. And then the pattern he makes is designed around the purpose of the shirt. There is also questions about what Cloth the customer would like for that shirt. Shirting, as with many types of cloth products, has several types of weaves to choose from. So this is something to ask about if you are unfamiliar about weaves. Many shirts are made of cotton and some of linen or silk, once in a while wool, or something else. Not all custom shirts cost more than premade. Once he has a personal pattern for you other shirts you want made are simple to make without all the refitting problems (this can save you time and money).

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads