1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

High Quality Chinos / Khaki Options

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jvv88, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jvv88

jvv88 New Member

I've been looking for a good pair of khakis for several years with a good heavy material for fall/spring. I perused this forum and thought BR Emerson would be a nice option, however the quality is not very good. The material is on the thin side, the threads around the pockets gave way and overall I was not impressed.

Fit is another challenge. I really wanted to like the Brooks Brothers vintage khakis but they only offer sizes where your leg size = waist size or where your waist > your legs. I'm looking for something ideally in a 31" waist, 33" inseam which is rare so I tend to have a lot of 32" waist pants or 32/34 inseam pants.

Suggestions?

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

4. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

+1 on Bills. Unis and Albam are great options as well

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. f800gs

f800gs Senior member

+2 Biils I also like LL Bean.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

On the Bills front, I fit best in the M2P, even though I don't usually prefer reverse pleats. The M1Ps are VERY spacious. Not at all bad for shorts, however. But in general, if you want room in the legs, it is a good shop to look around in.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I had a pair of Bill's but didn't like them

Howard Yount has much nicer fabrics and cut. Made by Hertling (USA models)

8. jvv88

jvv88 New Member

I'll add that I'm looking for narrow hips and regular leg fit (no super-slim or carrot pants). Just classic pants that fit well.

I wonder about the Bill's fit and if they are good for narrow hips. I've tried on far too many khaki's that my first thought is MC Hammer pants. I'm looking through the Bill's site, especially the M3 but how to they fit around the pockets and rear?

I do have a pair of LLBean cargos and they fit ok (use them for dog walks and mowing the lawn). For a classier pant, it looks like I may have to look to the Signature line, perhaps the Thomaston?
    [​IMG]

SuitSupply also has some that don't look horrible. I don't think I would roll up the cuffs though:
    [​IMG]

Bill's Khaki's M3, worried that the hip room is too much:
    [​IMG]

BB Milano Fit Vintage are the right look, but no fit options since you apparently need a waist size greater than you leg size:
    [​IMG]

I'll have to check out Unis, Albam, and Howard Yount later since I'm not familiar with them.
    Thanks for all the help and leads!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  9. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Senior member

Which is the best slim fit chinos in your opinion, regardless of price?

10. arahat

arahat Senior member

Howard Yount is excellent considering its incredible value.

Unis are also a great option.

On a more obscure note, try the international Rakuten site for Buzz Rickson/Real Mccoy's take on the original WWII officer's chinos. Outstanding fabric and construction with a sweet cut.

11. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

GAP lived ins are the best khakis ever!!!!

12. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Senior member

How does Incotex compare with these? Are there better options?

13. CR78

CR78 Senior member

What are the best options out there for a slim fitting, mid-rise pair of khakis suitable for business casual wear? Brooks Brothers Milano have too low of a rise for shirt tucking (for me), and BB Clark fit are a bit baggier than I'd like. I have an athletic, slim build, and would prefer to stay below the $150 price point.

14. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior member

BR Emerson/Gavin or GAP Lived In Khakis.

15. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Jcrew essential khakis classic or slim

16. RPMWEST

RPMWEST Active Member

Quote: @jvv88: Which one did you end up getting? What did you like not like?

@All: We are currently working on making a higher quality, better fitting pant and would love to get your guys input. What are the most important features?

17. James Will

James Will New Member