• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High quality cashmere cableknit sweaters

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.fishermanoutofireland.com/ ? Drinkwater's in Cambridge, MA is a Styleforum affiliate and they stock this brand, though I'm unsure of Gary's inventory at the moment. He might be able to get a hold of whatever you like from there and ship it out to you if you see anything he doesn't have.
I replied to another post above that I am not looking for fisherman sweaters.

Have you tried ehaberdasher.com?
Just type cashmere sweater into the Search box and away you go. Everything is on sale, and a lot of it is in the Loro Piana quality range (e.g. I see some Kitons with cable knit details.)
Despite of a huge selection, they have very few basic cableknit, and none are in my size :(. Thanks though.

Why would it matter to you what factory something is made in? The name Paul Stuart, Saks etc in a garment is a guarantee of high quality and their buyers will choose the best to put their name into.

try this-
http://www.bullockandjones.com/shop/search.cfm

I believe that Saks carries B&J too so when you're in Saks at 50th st. just ask one of the help
Retailers often carry a wide range of quality, while makers often commit to a specific level of quality across all of their products. Thus a sweater from renowned cashmere mills/makers like Lockie, Laing means high quality while that doesn't guarantee from retailers such as Saks, regardless of the MSRP.

http://www.lesterbowden.co.uk/categories/Menswear/William-Lockie-Knitwear/. I bought a few William Lockie cashmere sweaters from them and they are the nicest sweaters I have ever handled. 
Nice. Do they ship to the US?

Last edited:

Exin

Reaction score
I replied to another post above that I am not looking for fisherman sweaters.
Despite of a huge selection, they have very few basic cableknit, and none are in my size
frown.gif
. Thanks though.
Retailers often carry a wide range of quality, while makers often commit to a specific level of quality across all of their products. Thus a sweater from renowned cashmere mills/makers like Lockie, Laing means high quality while that doesn't guarantee from retailers such as Saks, regardless of the MSRP.
Nice. Do they ship to the US?

Yes, just bought a navy cable knit sweater two weeks ago

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why would it matter to you what factory something is made in? The name Paul Stuart, Saks etc in a garment is a guarantee of high quality and their buyers will choose the best to put their name into.

try this-
http://www.bullockandjones.com/shop/search.cfm

I believe that Saks carries B&J too so when you're in Saks at 50th st. just ask one of the help
No, not really. Standalone brands, sometimes, but IMO that is far less common for store brands. Saks store brand cashmere is pretty poor. Have a few garments from a few different seasons. Feels really soft, but stretches and does not keep its shape, especially around the wrists and waist. Avoid.

Last edited:

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
John Laing cashmere (sold at ASW) is fantastic. I have two Laings, though neither was purchase from ASW.

Johnston's of Elgin is also very good and Sierra Trading post has them for INCREDIBLE prices. I have about 5 of the solid crewnecks, all bought for under $200 with free shipping. They get restocks often.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s/elgin/

I would expect William Lockie to be of this level of quality as well.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score

John Laing cashmere (sold at ASW) is fantastic. I have two Laings, though neither was purchase from ASW.
Johnston's of Elgin is also very good and Sierra Trading post has them for INCREDIBLE prices. I have about 5 of the solid crewnecks, all bought for under $200 with free shipping. They get restocks often.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s/elgin/

Edit: I don't know why the cable knits are so much more expensive than the plain weaves, but here is exactly what (I think) you want. 2x the price of plain weave, though.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jo...2u/?filterString=search~elgin/&colorFamily=03

I would expect William Lockie to be of this level of quality as well.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit: I don't know why the cable knits are so much more expensive than the plain weaves, but here is exactly what (I think) you want. 2x the price of plain weave, though.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jo...2u/?filterString=search~elgin/&colorFamily=03

That's exactly why I was asking specifically for cableknits, plain sweaters are quite easy to find. Though STP can be promising, since once in a while they will have a 30-35% off flyer coupon. Thanks.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try the real Saks or B&J as I mentioned not the sale stuff on the net  or the off 5th which both carry lower priced stuff. The label may say Saks at the store r may have the maker +Saks. And as I said, ask a salesman if they carry a certain brand. These tp stores only have experienced salesman and don't hire any kids. The real Saks or NM (not the off 5th or Last Call) will have products that are as good or better than a Ballentyne or Pringle and besides the customers would know the quality even if there was no label in the garment.

First, nobody mentioned Off 5th or Last Call.

Back to your recommendation, I already said before, now I say it again. The best sweaters at Neiman Marcus will be overpriced Italian made products (Loro Piana, Kiton, et al): marginally better (if at all) than Scottish/UK products but at 3-4 times the price. I would choose three (3) $500-sweaters from a Scottish maker than one (1) Loro Piana sweater any time.

Last edited:

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Call 212-753-4000 and ask to speak to a salesman in the sweater dept. I'd try Bergdoff's too.
You can even ask for the exact measurements and they'll do it if it's not on file.

Did you even see what I replied?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Come on onix, I already gave you the straight dope.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on onix, I already gave you the straight dope.

Of course, you did. All of these options were given to my wife, she will decide what to get. Now I will go hide and wait under the Christmas tree.

mrbrioni

Reaction score
As weird as this may sound, I'm a firm lover of Polo Ralph Lauren cashemere cable knit sweaters.

Anyone ever have any issues with them?

They have like 900,000 colors to choose from and you can always get them at a relatively decent price.

For me, they are a great bang for the buck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads