Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

High quality cashmere cableknit sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by onix, Dec 2, 2011.

1. onix

onix Senior member

Short version: [COLOR=0000FF]Christmas is coming, and my wife is going to give me a cable cashmere sweater as a present, my job is to find the "best" one.[/COLOR] Money is not the main problem as long as the quality matches.

Universally known, Scotland, especially Hawick, makes the highest quality cashmere out there. However, 1) it is hard to get hold of them in the States and, 2) they make a wide range of cashmere products and I am unsure which one is high quality, which one is not. I do already own some from RLPL, but I do not consider them high quality, especially at the premium they charge. Ben Silver sells some but not my size (they carry everything from M up, but not S), and I do not know about their quality, though they do seem nice and the price of $500 a pop seems right. I have looked at several British companies like John Laing and Alan Paine, but faced the same problem of difficulty to get hold of.

Comments, recommendations?

Clarification:
    - I am looking for low profile cableknit, not fisherman

Update (on what I have learned so far):
    - Loro Piana and other Italian designers seem to have really nice pieces but obscenely expensive (at retail). Mark-ups are too high.
    - Ben Silver has them, but not my size (S). They are made by William Lockie.
    - A Suitable Wardrobe has crew neck made by John Laing, in my size, though color choice is too limited.
    - Paul Stuart maybe a solution here, though I still need to figure out who makes them.
    - Sierra Trading Post has some Johnston of Elgin at $425, which will go down to $300 using a 30% coupon. Pretty nice deal.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

2. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

I'd probably have to recommend Seletti for some of the best Italian cashmere I've seen. It's not cheap, but the quality does match the price point. They also let you implement a little customization if you order one, such as choosing a color for the outside and having a different color to contrast on the inside of a 1/4 zip, choosing buttons, etc. We normally stock smalls, but most of the time we end up ordering them.

3. onix

onix Senior member

^ the Seletti I found on Google is a design company. Am I missing something?

4. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

They sell to a limited number of stores in the US, and I don't think they have much of an online presence so they're hard to find but very nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wing8tes_qw

wing8tes_qw Senior member

tse is kinda pricey. I have a few thick cable knits. Once comment, they didn't stay super soft for very long, but I've never had to shave them.

6. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

Have you tried Loro Piana?

I know of a few similar companies (Cucinelli, Colombo) that I could recommend based on commonly held opinion, but Loro Piana is the only one in this bracket with which I have direct experience.

Their sweaters are excellent.

-VF

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

+1 on Loro Piana.

go to a boutique store and get something customized for youself.

8. onix

onix Senior member

On Loro Piana: I can't ask my wife to spend several grands on a sweater that is marginally better than what can be obtained at $500ish. And really, for that much money, I would rather fly to the other side of the Atlantic, buy 2 sweaters, fly back, and have some spare change. Like many other Italian brands (name your favorite here), the price and quality don't match. So yeah, Loro Piana at full price is out of the question. Of course, I would consider if they have deep discount sale.

Back to Scottish cashmere, I was informed that ASW carries some John Laing, and Ben Silver carries William Lockie. ASW doesn't carry a lot of colors, but they do have my size. For Ben Silver, maybe their M size would fit, so probably I will need to contact them for exact measurements.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

9. CashmereLover

CashmereLover Senior member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

10. onix

onix Senior member

I think I found a solution. Paul Stuart (their catalog looks nice). Still need to check with them to see who's the actual maker though.

[​IMG]

11. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

12. onix

onix Senior member

Interesting, never heard of them before. A quick browsing around seems to suggest that they make mostly fisherman(-style) sweaters, which makes sense given that they're Irish. Nevertheless, I am currently looking for lower profile stuff at the moment. Thanks though.

13. CSCoHammers7

CSCoHammers7 Senior member

http://www.fishermanoutofireland.com/ ? Drinkwater's in Cambridge, MA is a Styleforum affiliate and they stock this brand, though I'm unsure of Gary's inventory at the moment. He might be able to get a hold of whatever you like from there and ship it out to you if you see anything he doesn't have.

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Have you tried ehaberdasher.com?

Just type cashmere sweater into the Search box and away you go. Everything is on sale, and a lot of it is in the Loro Piana quality range (e.g. I see some Kitons with cable knit details.)

15. Von Franz

Von Franz Senior member

He speaks the truth.

-VF