• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High quality basics in smaller sizes do not exist

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by who8mahrice
I think your problem is that with a 34" chest, your 17" pit to pit is very disproportional. 17" s-s is usually more appropriate for 19-20" p-p...

+1 on this. I was about to say the same thing.

I've seen 17 s-s on 21 p-p on some things before. I would think 15 s-s would of been a more common cut for 17 p-p

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Basic slim clothing designs in the smallest sizes tend to only be offered by companies that cater to younger people-- e.g. American Apparel, Topman, G-Star, etc. But in order have the pieces be affordable by younger people, the quality of these brands is poor.

i know what you mean, i'm a 36" chest and 30" waist, so most shirts don't fit me right unless they're small slim fits. and just a regular fit small is hard enough to find in stores nowadays, and they're just way too baggy in the midsection and arms
laugh.gif

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i think the last time i had a 34 inch chest i was in middle school... dont worry if you never work out your metabolism will eventually catch up to you and in a few years you can wear a 36, if not a 38 or 40

My actual chest measurement is 35" and waist is 29". But I usually have better results with stuff labeled as 34 (or 42 and 44 euro) since most things are cut so generously. It looks like I'm swimming in most size 36 stuff.

I'm already 40 so my metabolism has likely already slowed down quite a bit! I don't work out much, but I do avoid consuming high calorie junk food (most of it tastes awful anyway). I believe it has been about 10 years since I last had even a fast food hamburger.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
My actual chest measurement is 35" and waist is 29". But I usually have better results with stuff labeled as 34 (or 42 and 44 euro) since most things are cut so generously. It looks like I'm swimming in most size 36 stuff.

I'm already 40 so my metabolism has likely already slowed down quite a bit! I don't work out much, but I do avoid consuming high calorie junk food (most of it tastes awful anyway). I believe it has been about 10 years since I last had even a fast food hamburger.

impressive!

i wonder if the problem is just in the chest, or also the shoulders? i find that a lot of the popular designers on this board might have a roomy chest, but crazy slim shoulders that fit striaght down

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried BR XS and it is too big. It is only passable if you like a kind of baggy, relaxed look like someone whom doesn't care how their clothing fits might wear-- which applies to the majority of people in the US. They say it will fit a 34" chest person, but this is only true if you're willing to accept this relaxed aesthetic.

The BR XS has a pit-to-pit of around 19.0" I believe. I find anything greater than 18.0" pit-to-pit looks way to big on me. So in BR's overly generous sizing scheme I would need a XXS, which they don't make.

Originally Posted by sifl
BR has XS sizes

shirtsweaters.jpg

sifl

Reaction score
Seriously though, did you look at children wear? Sizes 14, 16 in the boys department?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're not looking for designer prices/ limited availability, perhaps look into boys dept. in things like RL, Lands End, J Crew ect., ect. Sizing is all relative, so is marking things "boys" or "mens" clothes. OR gain healthy lean muscle mass (takes time), up your body fat percentage, or import clothes from asian countries.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
impressive!

i wonder if the problem is just in the chest, or also the shoulders? i find that a lot of the popular designers on this board might have a roomy chest, but crazy slim shoulders that fit striaght down

This is an interesting question. I still dont' quite understand the relationship between shoulder and chest fit vs. how a shirt subjectively looks on me. There is obviously a lot of interplay between those two.

For example, a W+H size Small tee with a pit-to-pit of 19.0" is so baggy looking that I look like a mental patient wearing it. However, a MofM tee with the same pit-to-pit measurement looks fine on me, albeit slightly over sized (but in a good way).

My observation is that while the MofM shirt is slightly baggy in the chest, the shoulders are a lot tighter and the shirt tapers more towards the bottom hem. The last point seems to matter a lot-- having a fitted waist seems to help an otherwise over sized shirt look "ok".

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For cashmere, have you tried approaching the makers about special order? Loro Piana, for example, might be perfectly happy to do a MTO cashmere sweater.

Yoox could also be a good source. They say they have sweaters in Italian size 44, although that could be a mistake for some of them:
http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/BALLAN...I/sts/sr_men80
http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/MARC+J...S/sts/sr_men80

It would seem to me that you're going to have a hard time finding top-quality RTW in such a small size. It can be hard to find 36 and 38, for the simple reason that a lot of luxury goods buyers are big. Look at the LP tailored stuff--it runs huge for the size.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Oh, I see, my mistake!

34" just seems unhealthy! No offense to the OP....

I have a 35" chest, not unhealthy. I'm also not a teenager anymore and am "proportional". I just look like a tall guy who happens to be 5'8"
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Seriously, jil sander 44 problem solved /thread.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Look into boyd dept. in things like RL, Lands End, J Crew ect., ect. Sizing is all relative, so is marking things "boys" or "mens" clothes. OR gain healthy lean muscle mass (takes time), up your body fat percentage, or import clothes from asian countries.

Around 80% of my closest already consists of Japanese men's clothing. I believe I am about the same size as the average customer in Japan. Unlike in the US where a piece may have 4 or 5 sizes available in a shop, it is not uncommon for a boutique shop in Japan to stock one only size of a more expensive piece.

That one size available is nearly always a perfect fit for me-- what are the odds of that!? It is pretty cool to be able to go to shop and see 90% of the clothing available will fit you vs. in the US seeing only 10% that will fit you.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
As for the OP, most designer brands do make size 44, xs or xxs depending on what you need. It might not be as readily available as 46+ (a lot of stores only order 46+) but when you ask around they can usually order them, especially if you're at a brand store. Stop by YSL or something and they'll get everything you need.

I'm the same measurements as you are and do find what I need in designer brands. I don't wear many sweaters though...

Old RAF in 46 would be tight on you. I have a very slim Raf white, thin turtleneck to sell if you're interested but it might not be your cup of tea. It is form-fitting on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads