• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high-end task chairs: knoll life vs. Aeron vs. Freedom Chair

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need a new office chair and desk or I will end up a hunchback. These chairs are the ones I've read about most. Does anyone have comments about one or the other? I'm looking at the knoll price list and there are so many options... I'm gonna stop by the knoll store in montreal to check it out, but I doubt they'll have a ton of differently configured chairs there.

Am I missing any other chairs? I want quality that will last and it doesn't hurt if it's attractive (which some people think detracts from the aeron). I sit in this thing for hours so ergonomics is a prime concern.

As for the desk, I'm debating between a high-end ergonomic computer desk or something that's more interesting in terms of design. The computer is a tower that can go on the ground under it or beside it. The only constraint here is that it needs to have a big enough surface for 2 24" monitors and is at a comfortable height for the use of keyboard and mouse. It would be nice if I could get something that was both attractive and ergonomic. I hate cheap materials. It doesn't need to have tons of shelves or drawers. Every desk I've ever owned has been ugly. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Then again, I might go really cheap, as I feel my design preferences are shifting, and I want my furniture to form a cohesive whole, if possible.

aragon765

Reaction score
I have had good luck with a Steelcase Leap. The Think is also nice by them...

But I think the most important thing is to try a bunch before you buy. You will only know which one works best for you (the one who will actually be sitting in it) by getting your butt in the chairs!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
freedom chair changed my life and i've had about every overpriced office chair you can imagine.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aragon765
I have had good luck with a Steelcase Leap. The Think is also nice by them...

But I think the most important thing is to try a bunch before you buy. You will only know which one works best for you (the one who will actually be sitting in it) by getting your butt in the chairs!

I'm trying. It's such a pain that I can't find them all in one store. I just went to a store listed on the Knoll site and they didn't even stock the Life chair.

The freedom chair looks pretty cool. I especially like the rotating armrests. I've had that problem before where my elbow is on the edge of the armrest due to the way I was sitting.

What do you guys think of aluminum vs. plastic frames?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.sit4less.com/products/knoll/life-chair/15

Fully loaded Life (with aluminum base) for $900 bucks. So tempting... I find it much more attractive than the humanscale, but I have the feeling the gel seat and armrests of the humanscale may be more comfortable
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by the Areon. I used to do a job with lots of sitting and jesus I wanted to die by the end of the day. I was cracking my back and trying to stretch constantly. You get this compulsion to straighten out your back all the time because you get this chronic nagging in your back, not pain, but this wrestless feeling. Lumbar support will fix that. Stay young, get a good chair.

What's the difference between the Life and Freedom? Maybe I've seen these, I don't know.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
freedom chair changed my life and i've had about every overpriced office chair you can imagine.

^^^ what he said

Humanscale Freedom Chair >>>> Aeron

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
^^^ what he said Humanscale Freedom Chair >>>> Aeron
+1 We plan on getting two Humanscale Freedom chairs. I had a gel one at one of my old jobs and.. man, so beautiful. I've tried Aerons and preferred the Freedom. I just wish I could get leather + gel. Ah well. If you're interested in Herman Miller chairs, you may as well try their Embody model. It appears that to be Stumpf's attempt at besting the Aeron though the aesthetics are not as pleasing.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I just wish I could get leather + gel. Ah well.
That's the one I have at work. I've probably sat on that chair for 12,000 hours and it is still great - never had the slightest back ache since I got it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
btw, in my experience, sit4less sucks dick as a company. when i get to the office, i'll give you the name of the company i ordered from.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's the one I have at work. I've probably sat on that chair for 12,000 hours and it is still great - never had the slightest back ache since I got it.

Hrm, they say you can't combine the two? (gel/leather)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hrm, they say you can't combine the two? (gel/leather)
hmm.. OK - so what's inside my chair? not gel? Not sure what's in it but I think the chair is leather. Or is it pleather?
confused.gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 3 fabrics that gel cannot be combined with - leather, ultrasuede, and millenium; I'm not sure what the last is. The gel-approved materials are all synthetics as far as I understand.

Either way, it's comfortable, right? :p

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, it's comfortable, right? :p
Yup. Don't know what's in it or what it's made of but it's been supporting my derriere comfortably for 3 or 4 years now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics