High End Suede Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by feathers73, Jun 13, 2010.

1. feathers73

feathers73 Member

I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?

2. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I love suede shoes but I never buy high end ones because they don't seem to last as far as keeping them looking clean. To me rather than gaining character with age they look rough. Am I missing something?

That's been my experience also. There are probably ways to care for them but I don't know what they are.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Yes you are.

You are also a novice, newbie.

trying to keep suede shoes "clean" is like trying to keep linen clothing wrinkle-free.

4. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

Yes you are.

You are also a novice, newbie.

trying to keep suede shoes "clean" is like trying to keep linen clothing wrinkle-free.

What is it that he is missing?

5. onix

onix Senior member

1. Suede protector spray
    2. Suede bar
    3. Suede brush

6. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

1. Suede protector spray
    2. Suede bar
    3. Suede brush

With the items listed above and with regular care, will a pair of suede shoes last as long as a pair of leather ones?

7. onix

onix Senior member

With the items listed above and with regular care, will a pair of suede shoes last as long as a pair of leather ones?

Yes, they just have a different kind of "patina".

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

are you running through mud or something? I love suede because they in my opinion keep better than leather (just my opinion).

they look great after being rained on, etc.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I love suede because they in my opinion keep better than leather (just my opinion).

they look great after being rained on, etc.

My suede shoes have held up well. I don't wear them often, but I also don't do anything special to keep them looking nice except brush them before each wear.

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

My suede shoes have held up well. I don't wear them often, but I also don't do anything special to keep them looking nice except brush them before each wear.

I brush gently infrequently as well. good suede versus bad suede...?

11. epa

epa Senior member

One of the reasons for which I like suede shoes is that they require less care than leather shoes in order to look "acceptable", IMO; just a bit of brushing when you get home from work or leisure. But a disadvantage is that they don't age that well. Actually, some leather shoes, when polished, look fantastic also after many years of wear. They seem to acquire a nice "patina" with age. And that cannot be said about suede shoes (IMO).
    Thus, just as the OP suggests, I tend to be more reluctant to spend a substantial amount of money on suede shoes than on leather shoes. All of my suede shoes are Carmina (which have a reasonable retail price) or Santoni, and my suede Santonis I bougth on sale.

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

One of the reasons for which I like suede shoes is that they require less care than leather shoes in order to look "acceptable", IMO; just a bit of brushing when you get home from work or leisure. But a disadvantage is that they don't age that well. Actually, some leather shoes, when polished, look fantastic also after many years of wear. They seem to acquire a nice "patina" with age. And that cannot be said about suede shoes (IMO).
    Thus, just as the OP suggests, I tend to be more reluctant to spend a substantial amount of money on suede shoes than on leather shoes. All of my suede shoes are Carmina (which have a reasonable retail price) or Santoni, and my suede Santonis I bougth on sale.

I have:

EG suede
    Alden Suede
    Peluso Suede
    Carmina Suede
    (and some others)

Carmina does the best suede of the bunch in my opinion

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Anyone have any pics of old-ass suede shoes?

The suede on my girlfriend's clarks are in surprisingly good shape after two years, despite having been completely soaked by the rain several times.

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Anyone have any pics of old-ass suede shoes?

The suede on my girlfriend's clarks are in surprisingly good shape after two years, despite having been completely soaked by the rain several times.

Paging srivats...

I've got suede from Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, Loake and Cheaney. The AS suede is probably my favourite. Nothing wrong with the EG suede, but unlike their calf it isn't noticeably better than the cheaper shoes.

15. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Paging srivats...

I've got suede from Edward Green, Alfred Sargent, Loake and Cheaney. The AS suede is probably my favourite. Nothing wrong with the EG suede, but unlike their calf it isn't noticeably better than the cheaper shoes.

I have a few pairs of EG suedes and what I've noticed is that there is lots of variation in quality. One pair has the some of the softest suede I've encountered while another pair is a step down from my Alfred Sargent suede. A bit odd there's not more quality control at EG with their suede. Perhaps that will change one of these days.