• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High end slippers advice?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
With Covid showing no signs of abating, many of us are looking at another 6 months of working remotely (if at all...) While I kept up the suit and tie routine for the first few months (to stay sane), I'm realizing I need to invest in my "home office casual" wardrobe now. Picked up a new dressing gown from Derek Rose for breakfast meetings without video (but in black watch tartan, I would probably get away with wearing it for video meetings as well - my clients know I'm nothing of not eccentric), but I'm having less luck finding any slippers I like. Considering how much wear a pair of good slippers are likely to get, I think it makes sense to invest in them like I'd invest in a pair of good shoes, yet I'm having a trouble finding any guidance. I did try Church slippers but found the last/size did not agree with my massive, disfigured feet.

So I turn to you gentlemen for advice: what are your recommendation for high quality slippers? I have feet on the larger side (size 46 or 47 EU), and I prefer to shop within the EU to avoid customs, if possible.

Any suggestions?

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean shearling lined slippers or moccasins. Very comfy, I’ve had the same pair for years.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
With Covid showing no signs of abating, many of us are looking at another 6 months of working remotely (if at all...) While I kept up the suit and tie routine for the first few months (to stay sane), I'm realizing I need to invest in my "home office casual" wardrobe now. Picked up a new dressing gown from Derek Rose for breakfast meetings without video (but in black watch tartan, I would probably get away with wearing it for video meetings as well - my clients know I'm nothing of not eccentric), but I'm having less luck finding any slippers I like. Considering how much wear a pair of good slippers are likely to get, I think it makes sense to invest in them like I'd invest in a pair of good shoes, yet I'm having a trouble finding any guidance. I did try Church slippers but found the last/size did not agree with my massive, disfigured feet.

So I turn to you gentlemen for advice: what are your recommendation for high quality slippers? I have feet on the larger side (size 46 or 47 EU), and I prefer to shop within the EU to avoid customs, if possible.

Any suggestions?

If you're the dressing gown type, Bowhill and Elliot would complement your style nicely, and won't quite break the bank either. They sell directly and are also the maker for Crockett and Jones, Herring, Loake, Brooks Bros etc.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church's Jason are excellent. As are the brooks brothers nappa slipper.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
LL Bean shearling lined slippers or moccasins. Very comfy, I’ve had the same pair for years.

Looks nice and not too expensive. I like!

If you're the dressing gown type, Bowhill and Elliot would complement your style nicely, and won't quite break the bank either. They sell directly and are also the maker for Crockett and Jones, Herring, Loake, Brooks Bros etc.

Ok, yeah, monogrammed velvet slippers... That's gonna be hard to resist!

Church's Jason are excellent. As are the brooks brothers nappa slipper.

The Church ones were the first ones I tried on, sadly the fit wasn't to my liking. Will check out Brooks Brothers though.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheIronDandy if your feet really are 'massive and disfigured' you may not find that the dainty Albert slipper would be quite right for you. I love them and often wear them to work from home (Tricker's in particular) but I am lucky enough to have smallish, size 8 / 42, quite narrow feet. I have not tried Bowhill & Elliott but my Tricker's and Church's Sovereign have all taken a good while to feel truly comfortable.

The type of slipper I really like is almost a 'house shoe' and that is the Grecian style, which Church's used to do so well pre-Prada. Now choices are more limited I think. These have a lower cut and have always seemed to fit straight out of the box.

The black pair below are Hercules and the brown Ajax. If you can find a similar style it may work for you? Bowhill & Elliott do them and actually recommend them for those with 'higher insteps and slightly swollen feet'!

Church's Ajax Hercules.jpg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to second that, the grecians take a bit of time to break in. I have found that if I buy 1 size smaller than I actually wear, in about 2 weeks the sho e has molded to my foot perfectly through use. I would advise the same strategy for the brooks brothers ones. If you buy your actual size, the slippers will stretch to be 1+sizes too big for your foot which isn't comfortable to me!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to second that, the grecians take a bit of time to break in. I have found that if I buy 1 size smaller than I actually wear, in about 2 weeks the sho e has molded to my foot perfectly through use. I would advise the same strategy for the brooks brothers ones. If you buy your actual size, the slippers will stretch to be 1+sizes too big for your foot which isn't comfortable to me!
Interesting approach. I normally buy the same size in slippers as a shoe from the same maker. Of course, pre COVID I could go to London and try them on ?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting approach. I normally buy the same size in slippers as a shoe from the same maker. Of course, pre COVID I could go to London and try them on ?
I have church's in 9 (10US) but I buy slippers in 8. Same with brooks, I have pear and co shoes in 10, but buy size 9 slippers! Years ago I bought a 10 slipper and I couldn't wear it in 4 months

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moccasins. No socks.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

willyto

Reaction score
I found a pair of unused Church's slippers on Ebay a while ago and they work great. Very comfortable although they took a bit of break in on the instep.

When people used to come home pre covid they thought I was wearing dress shoes.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on what means luxury to you. Shearling is a good standby, and it doesn’t have to be hugely expensive to do the job. Minnetonka, for example, can be very comfy if you don’t feel the urge to look at Gokey, Wassookeag, or similar.

For elegance that will require a little more thought to put on, Baudoin and Lange has a brilliant range.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads