• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High End Italian Shirts

Aryeah

Reaction score
Hello,

what are some good high end italian shirt makers that have slim fit shirts? In the US it's realy hard to get shirts that don't fit me like a tent. I have a barrell chest. so my 16 inch neck and 31 waste dont help for RTW shirts. I can get away with a size 40, but the neck is usually to small. a 41 fits my neck, but starts to balloon at my waste.

thanks,

Aryeah

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim relative to what? The Isaia shirt I have is cut quite slim through the body -- slimmer than the slim fit from Brooks Brothers, for example. I don't see that many Italian brands that offer more than one fit, but I don't shop them heavily.

EDIT: So if you're looking for a shirt that fits slimmer than some, you might be well served by some of the Italian brands. If you're looking for a shirt that fits slimmer than your existing Italian ones, I'm not sure what you should do.

Last edited:

Aryeah

Reaction score
I should have clarified. I am looking for shirts that are slimmer than US style shirts. even the us style slim fits are still baggy.

Magician Shaun

Reaction score
Why not just take the shirts to the tailor and have them altered to fit how you want for ~$15 per shirt and have a near perfect fit. Or go to a good local tailor and have shirts made bespoke for ~$100 each. There are two really good tailors near where I live and each will make custom dress shirts for around $100 ech. If you buy a top Italian brand you will spend much more for a much worse fit in most cases.

Aryeah

Reaction score
I was looking at the Borrelli shirts. shop the finest has many for $129 to $189. for that price I can get the slim fit and have it tailored if needed. In Pitttsburgh most bespoke shirts start at $150 or more for any good product for a good tailor.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking at the Borrelli shirts. shop the finest has many for $129 to $189. for that price I can get the slim fit and have it tailored if needed. In Pitttsburgh most bespoke shirts start at $150 or more for any good product for a good tailor.

Bespoke for $150 is a bargain.

Magician Shaun

Reaction score
For what reason would you ever choose an OTR shirt over a bespoke when the OTR costs more? A man in a well fitting shirt that he paid $20 for will look better than one in a $200 Borrelli that doesn't fit as well.

I think you will find many local tailors that will make a quality shirt just for you, i.e. bespoke, that is significantly cheaper than a Seville Rowe bespoke...You will have to judge the fit and quality for yourself.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what reason would you ever choose an OTR shirt over a bespoke when the OTR costs more? A man in a well fitting shirt that he paid $20 for will look better than one in a $200 Borrelli that doesn't fit as well.

I think you will find many local tailors that will make a quality shirt just for you, i.e. bespoke, that is significantly cheaper than a Seville Rowe bespoke...You will have to judge the fit and quality for yourself.

Some people fit into OTR shirts just fine, and want nicer cloth for their money. Not everybody needs to have stuff made. If an off-the-peg shirt fits you 90%, does it make sense to take a downgrade in cloth to get 95%?

Note that this is coming from somebody who wants custom shirts, but that's because I think ordering shirts sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim:

Borrelli
Barba white label
Finamore white label
Vincenzo di Ruggiero
Truzzi
Sartoria Partenopea
Isaia

Very slim:

Barba black label
Finamore black label
Truzzi cucita a mano label

Shirts made for the European market, and not the American market, by these companies are generally even slimmer as well.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you and I have similar build/ fit issues. I find Isaia and Eton fit me pretty well. Culturata fit me as well, and are a bit slimmer still. Eton is Sweedish, not Italian, fwtw.

Aryeah

Reaction score

I have MTM shirts from Modern Tailor and the material is pretty sub par. If I can get Borrelli at 65% off of retail price and the shirt is a very close fit, then I can have it tailored for $15 to $20 and have an OTR that has been fitted. For the same quality bespoke shirt I would have to pay full price at a tailor to get maybe and extra 5% better fit, which would most likely be in the $400 range to get the same quality material.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have MTM shirts from Modern Tailor and the material is pretty sub par. If I can get Borrelli at 65% off of retail price and the shirt is a very close fit, then I can have it tailored for $15 to $20 and have an OTR that has been fitted. For the same quality bespoke shirt I would have to pay full price at a tailor to get maybe and extra 5% better fit, which would most likely be in the $400 range to get the same quality material.

If you want a close fit, beware of buying shirts made for the American market, then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads