• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High end denim brands?

Andrew0409

Reaction score
I’m in the process of making my wardrobe more mature and a little bit more dressed up. My jeans are fashionable, but it’s clearly for a younger crowd and not something you wear with a sports jacket. So I have no idea where to look for jeans that can look a bit more dressed up.
Any advice?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What brands do you currently own?
Budget?

Andrew0409

Reaction score
What brands do you currently own?
Budget?
I have a lot of Japanese denim. cant remember the brands, they are not big name brands.

I think I wouldn’t expect a good pair to be less than 100$. I think around 150-200$ would be something I would be comfortable with. I don’t think it’s necessary to go above 200$ but maybe I’m wrong?

ecerratic

Reaction score
At $200, Todd Snyder is a good choice. My go-to day off denim.

That said, knowing the fit you want and which compliments your body type is more important than price. Take a pair that fit you well and compare that way.

Dark selvedge (Or just raw) is an easy way to dress up some denim.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
At $200, Todd Snyder is a good choice. My go-to day off denim.

That said, knowing the fit you want and which compliments your body type is more important than price. Take a pair that fit you well and compare that way.

Dark selvedge (Or just raw) is an easy way to dress up some denim.

Do you think to go into the 300$ price range makes a difference in denim? I don't know what even separates denim going into those prices.

ecerratic

Reaction score
Do you think to go into the 300$ price range makes a difference in denim? I don't know what even separates denim going into those prices.

If you’re talking about the best constructed denim, in my experience no one even compares to Iron Heart. It’s an investment due to the $300-400 price-point however Giles & company at IHUK are hands down some of the nicest folks you can meet. They reach out and make sure the garment you‘re buying is the right size and exactly what you want.

Their 21oz denim is bombproof. So if you’re going the raw route, it’s in a class of its own. Same with shirts - I’m in a IH top 3-5 days a week - and they’re the gnarliest shirts I’ve ever owned.

All that said, RRL makes quality product. They have some of the nicest washes/distressed denim. Other brands to look into a bracket below IH would be Rogue Territory, 3Sixteen, and Tellason.

eys13094

Reaction score
Some other good options are Blackhorse Lane Ateliers and Orslow.

Blackhorse Lane is based in London and usually has a bit higher rise, which makes it easier to wear with a sportscoat or tailoring. Their NW3 model is a good slim straight. They also make some jeans for Drake's, which are usually pricier, but also very good. Prices vary depending on the denim used, but they have a 17% newsletter signup coupon. With shipping, comes out to about $200 or so for 14 oz fabric.

Orslow is a Japanese brand with Americana focus with pretty good quality. They are a bit pricier, ranging from $200-300, but can be found on sale too. Their 105 and 107 (slim fit) have a bit higher rise as well.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some other good options are Blackhorse Lane Ateliers and Orslow.

Blackhorse Lane is based in London and usually has a bit higher rise, which makes it easier to wear with a sportscoat or tailoring. Their NW3 model is a good slim straight. They also make some jeans for Drake's, which are usually pricier, but also very good. Prices vary depending on the denim used, but they have a 17% newsletter signup coupon. With shipping, comes out to about $200 or so for 14 oz fabric.

Orslow is a Japanese brand with Americana focus with pretty good quality. They are a bit pricier, ranging from $200-300, but can be found on sale too. Their 105 and 107 (slim fit) have a bit higher rise as well.
I second the 105. Great denim with a cut that 's forgiving for most.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese denim brands (a fairly subjective categorization):

Top end: Iron Heart, The Strike Gold, Studio d'Artisan, The Flat Head, Full Count, Oni

High end: Kamikaze Attack, Samurai, Momotaro, Warehouse & Co, Pure Blue Japan

Mid-range (still good quality but much better value): Sugar Cane, Japan Blue Jeans, Burgus Plus, TCB

Utilitarian (by Japanese standards, but still pretty damn good quality compared to jeans from most other places): Kojima Genes, Big John

Mass market / fashion: Evisu, Edwin

Excellent guide to most of the higher end here: https://www.heddels.com/2019/08/raw-japanese-denim-beginners-guide-japans-biggest-labels/

Many more general Japanese labels also do very fine denim, particularly OrSlow, 45r and Kapital, but sometimes you pay a premium because of the label as much as anything - however, Kapital's Century Denim is really something else - exceptionally innovative, different to anything else out there... and super expensive.

One of the best stores in the USA for Japanese denim is Self Edge: www.selfedge.com

If you want to dip your toe in but not get too wet, then you might want to consider Naked & Famous, which uses Japanese denim but makes the jeans itself in Montreal. Their store is Tate & Yoko - and they also stock some Japanese brands sporadically: https://tateandyoko.com/

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese denim brands (a fairly subjective categorization):

Top end: Iron Heart, The Strike Gold, Studio d'Artisan, The Flat Head, Full Count, Oni

High end: Kamikaze Attack, Samurai, Momotaro, Warehouse & Co, Pure Blue Japan

Mid-range (still good quality but much better value): Sugar Cane, Japan Blue Jeans, Burgus Plus, TCB

Utilitarian (by Japanese standards, but still pretty damn good quality compared to jeans from most other places): Kojima Genes, Big John

Mass market / fashion: Evisu, Edwin

Excellent guide to most of the higher end here: https://www.heddels.com/2019/08/raw-japanese-denim-beginners-guide-japans-biggest-labels/

Many more general Japanese labels also do very fine denim, particularly OrSlow, 45r and Kapital, but sometimes you pay a premium because of the label as much as anything - however, Kapital's Century Denim is really something else - exceptionally innovative, different to anything else out there... and super expensive.

One of the best stores in the USA for Japanese denim is Self Edge: www.selfedge.com

If you want to dip your toe in but not get too wet, then you might want to consider Naked & Famous, which uses Japanese denim but makes the jeans itself in Montreal. Their store is Tate & Yoko - and they also stock some Japanese brands sporadically: https://tateandyoko.com/

Good post. I personally would move Pure Blue Japan into the top tier.

My personal favorites are:
Strike Gold
Iron Heart
Pure Blue Japan
Studio de Artisan
Sugar Cane (just because they are so comfortable)

I have 1-2 of each of those. I really want to try out some Flat Head some day but I never seem to find the right pair.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
Samurai
Momotaro
Japan Blue
All different. All I got.
1B146DED-9D36-4961-8924-DC1F678BFA7F.jpeg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Entry level:

Naked and Famous
Gustin
Unbranded

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads