• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High End Cologne

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, what makes the higher end colognes worth their money (think Creed, TF, etc)? I know that clothing can have aspects of it that can make it more valuable than others (hand made/fabric/etc) but what makes the scents that way. I admit, I don't have such a trained nose for that stuff, but is a $100 bottle of Green Irish Tweed much different than Coolwater by Davidoff? They smell similar to me. Also, Dunhill Red smells like TF Tuscan Leather, but again, the price difference is huge. Is it simply a name thing with customers willing to pay for a certain brand? I've been to Fragonard in paris a few times, so I have some idea as to how fragrance is made, and the difference between EdT and EdP and such...anyone?

Khnelben

Reaction score
my wife presented me with Red Vetiver by Montale . Wonderful scent . But is very similar to Hermes.

the price, among other things, is driven by use of natural (and sometimes) rare ingredients, more manual labour (?)

marketing also plays its part.

i think one should use what one likes and what suits one - its not only about the price.

but i tend to stay away from high street brands or their divisions (as Armani, for example, has Armani Privee)

one exception i make is for Fahrenheit by CD - but my dad used this so its a tradition
smile.gif

Andrey

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Concentration of essential ingredients

A bit of this...

Originally Posted by Kuro
Marketing.

... but more of this.

AFAIK, fragrances are some of the highest margin items for designers. As for myself, when I use cologne - which is very rarely - for the past 15 years it's been either Acqua di Parma or d'orange verte.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Marketing and the brand play a big part.

How about natural vs. synthetics?
Montale is famous for his "rose" scents. It literally requires a ton of roses in order to get a few quarts of essense/oils. If you were to use synthetics, you can bypass this process and mix chemicals/aromatics together. You should post this question on the Health section. We do have a few knowledgeable fragrance experts on the forum.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they last longer? Just a thought, I really don't know...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was being a little glib.. however an example: imho this smells very much like this . Both are from "exclusive" perfumers so why the price discrepancy?

ktrp

Reaction score
A big difference is that many of the high end ones have a certain image. The image is cultivated via money-losing runway designs of the house in question. Obviously, creating an entire fashion line that nobody buys in order to create the right image for the cologne is expensive, and this is embedded in the price of the cologne.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
A big difference is that many of the high end ones have a certain image. The image is cultivated via money-losing runway designs of the house in question. Obviously, creating an entire fashion line that nobody buys in order to create the right image for the cologne is expensive, and this is embedded in the price of the cologne.

biggrin.gif

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Maybe they last longer? Just a thought, I really don't know...

Not true. Creed (a few that I have tried) are notorioulsy fleeting. Although it depends on a wearer's skin chemistry, this is the view share by many people.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Marketing.
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Concentration of essential ingredients
These, mostly marketing though. Funny you mention GIT and Cool Water: they were both composed by the same perfumer and have small variations between them. As I understand it, the house making the scent decides what they'll sell it for, then back out their markup and production/distribution costs, and then say: the formula will cost X and smell like (blah). From that point it's up to the perfumer to select what goes in. That said, even among the synthetics there is a wide range in quality and price: musks in particular come to mind. Natural musk is simply not used outside of Natural Perfumery, and everything else falls in between Body Shop musk and Chanel musk. Or, God help you, Le Labo Musc. From that, you might argue that Creed simply selected better ingredients than Davidoff to get a better raw product. You could be right, or you might not - depending on how much markup they want.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the novel "Perfume," and all will be revealed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads