• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High end clothing lines that don't seem to exist anymore

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's gotta be strange being a living designer while your eponymous brand runs free of your influence. I have some jeans and casual jackets from Helmut Lang that I really like--he was still around back when I bought them.

Jil Sander too.

That is why you shouldn't use your own name kids!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm not sure I get it, Conne is hardly the type to wear HL, and I definitely am. In fact I own pieces from all the designers I listed.
Actually, I own a few HL pieces. Very fond of his original stuff.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I have a few Miu Miu pieces that I really do like a lot. The less outrageous casual shoes were comfortable and well-made. Pity that the line is being culled.

They're culling Miu Miu? Sons of bitches! I see Miu Miu as a less pretentious, better value Prada
frown.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Jil Sander too.

That is why you shouldn't use your own name kids!

I believe, so does Yves Saint-Laurent, and some Calvin Klein products are in the same boat. It's gotta be worse with Gerald Genta, the watchmaker isn't connected with the namesake brand anymore, and in his absence they brought out

29.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
They're culling Miu Miu? Sons of bitches! I see Miu Miu as a less pretentious, better value Prada
frown.gif

Sad, isn't it? I actually preferred much of their stuff to Prada.
frown.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I believe, so does Yves Saint-Laurent, and some Calvin Klein products are in the same boat. It's gotta be worse with Gerald Genta, the watchmaker isn't connected with the namesake brand anymore, and in his absence they brought out

29.jpg

That's a pretty awesome Swatch, man.

Lays84

Reaction score
Baldessarini I heard they stopped sending to the US is it still around in Europe?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

Miu Miu men's line, too, has disappeared, though I doubt anybody noticed or really cared all that much.

i saw some miu miu men's hanging on the racks at lane crawford...i guess this is their last season with menswear.

I used to own a miu miu nylon/polyester black hooded zip up jacket that had this subtle waffle pattern on the fabric...loved that piece, matter of fact i wore it so hard in college i wore it until it ripped.

and agree with those who say miu miu was better than prada for menswear...miu miu stuff was mostly solid reliable basics anyone could wear, but still had a youthful edge to the styling that was better than Prada's polarization between overdesigned one season items and really boring basics with no particular spark to them.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I believe, so does Yves Saint-Laurent

Yes, but unlike Helmut or Jil the owners of the label did not force out Yves during a time that could still have been considered his prime. When they brought in Tom Ford they more or less phased him out to only doing the haute couture collections and then finally I think in 04 he retired to Morocco. Quite frankly he is old and unlike Valentino or Armani not in the physical condition to really keep up with the demanding fashion calendar. There was a very sad picture last year where he collapsed in the street in Paris.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
This is HL sacrilege, SoCal!! (j/k) It's like saying you like Jil because her Pumas were cute.

The tees, casual items, and jeans are all that Theory seemed to pick up on that "defined" HL. In reality, it was the more substantial runway items, tailored items, etc. that always sold out and that were truly outstanding, like copper patent leather coats and technofiber suits w/ small percentages of metal in them for shine.

Of course, I'm just kidding; I always like the HL tees, too, especially those that he did in collaboration with Louise Bourgeois.

i used to have that louise bourgeois tee with the abstract print that looked like two phallic objects attached...it was a cool t-shirt, hated the fact "HELMUT LANG" was put in huge letters all over the back. But i'm guessing that's Prada Group's doing...lot of logo-ing towards the end which really killed me.

but what I respect most about Helmut Lang's design is his work is not exclusive, anyone from Connemara to Fuuma types can wear it. It's approachable, thoughtful, and appropriate for any occasion; the perfect urban wardrobe designer.

the only HL items i still own are the army jacket and a pair of jeans i bought in 03, they were raw denims with black cotton fabric patches as well as reversed pockets. Remember when i first saw the jeans they were worn by this cool looking dude at the elevator at Barney's, i asked if the jeans were Helmut Lang he said yes, i was happy as hell when i tracked them down and found out they were on sale.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lays84
Baldessarini I heard they stopped sending to the US is it still around in Europe?
They are, but somehow I cannot imagine that they´re doing too well. There´s a flagship store in Frankfurt that stocks rather nice stuff, but I think I´ve never seen another customer in there.

ccffm1

Reaction score
I guess Versus, which was sort of Versace´s diffusion line, is dead. At least I couldn´t find it on their website. I might be wrong, though.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i think all those Versace diffusion labels are gone. What's left is Patrick Dempsey...current Versace is pretty slick.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jordache jeans!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Jordache jeans!

Last year at the Israeli Day Parade they had a float...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads