"high end" brand quality opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, Nov 22, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i was wondering what is the general opinion here on the quality and value for your money of canali zegna isaia and brioni (mainline and up only)
    also is there any was to get a discount on these brands mtm suits besides trunk shows

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I love Canali and believe that they are the best bang for the buck. You can get them on sale here in the B & S and on Ebay.

Zegna is a very nice suit but at times difficult to get at discount.

3. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Isaia gives the best bang for the buck at retail hands down.

4. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Isaia and Canai are the best values, though I personally like Brioni the best of these makers. While I think Brioni is better made, it's certainly better made to the point of costing more than 2x what Canali does. Zegna Couture is really good too, but is a very differently styled garment.

You should try them all on and see which one fits you better and feels most comfortable, not just buy based off-of which one is perceived to be a better make or better value. However, if you're going to be paying MTM prices for Brioni or something similar, you could get a suit on Savile Row for less.

5. in stitches

Isaia and Canai are the best values, though I personally like Brioni the best of these makers. While I think Brioni is better made, it's certainly better made to the point of costing more than 2x what Canali does. Zegna Couture is really good too, but is a very differently styled garment.

You should try them all on and see which one fits you better and feels most comfortable, not just buy based off-of which one is perceived to be a better make or better value. However, if you're going to be paying MTM prices for Brioni or something similar, you could get a suit on Savile Row for less.

savile row would be nice but considering i live in maryland sadly it isnt really feasable

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

^Last time I checked there was an international airport called BWI, located in Maryland, that flies to London.

Nonstop too.

7. in stitches

^Last time I checked there was an international airport called BWI, located in Maryland, that flies to London.

Nonstop too.

sadly i dont have the funds for a suit and a flight to london and to miss 4+ days of work, however if youre offering to sponsor im in baby

8. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I would definitely take him up on the offer.

-LR

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Isaia gives the best bang for the buck at retail hands down.
    I agree, it's a good value for the quality of construction and fabrics.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

sadly i dont have the funds for a suit and a flight to london and to miss 4+ days of work, however if youre offering to sponsor im in baby

There are plenty of Savile Row tailors who visit the states...maybe not Maryland but I'm sure you could travel somewhere for a weekend to meet with one of them.

11. intent

intent Senior member

+1 for Isaia. It's got great fabrics and details, but is obscure enough that it's not fetching the same premiums as Brioni (which is better but not that much better).

Canali seems too plain for me though.

12. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

I don't understand why everyone is so enamored with these Italian luxury brands. They're all over priced IMHO, a situation exacerbated by the dollar/euro exchange rate.

13. in stitches

any thoughts on zegna and zegna couture

14. Fred H.

Fred H. Senior member

There are plenty of Savile Row tailors who visit the states...maybe not Maryland but I'm sure you could travel somewhere for a weekend to meet with one of them.
    DC is a frequent stop for many. BUT in any case, what about the Hickey MTM program offered by Nordstrom, etc.? Another good alternative.

15. in stitches

DC is a frequent stop for many. BUT in any case, what about the Hickey MTM program offered by Nordstrom, etc.? Another good alternative.

unfortunately im not thrilled with the work ive had done at nordstrom to date