1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

High-end aquaria

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by parham, Jun 24, 2008.

1. parham

parham Active Member

[​IMG]

Seems like the Germans and Japanese take their aquariums very seriously, specifically planted tanks. No reefs for me, the salt is annoying.

Looking back in the history books, it seems that Japanese "Aquarist" Takashi Amano started this recent trend of bonsai-style aquaria, so I decided to order some of his books and ADA products to start a 3 gallon nano tank. The rimless tanks are handmade in Deutschland, and apparently come with a signed inspection letter. See, serious.

Anyone seen or have one of these? Two great examples are ADG in Houston, and the Nature Aquarium Gallery in Niigata, Japan. Mr. Amano's personal tank (above) is a work of beauty, and he's got some pretty slick tube-amps, gramophones, and vintage large-format photography gear in his office....

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Having kept aquariums in the past, I can only imagine how much work it must take to maintain that aquarium.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I love how the Germans and Japanese take their hobbies very seriously, and very expensively.

4. robin

robin Senior member

Having kept aquariums in the past, I can only imagine how much work it must take to maintain that aquarium.
    I would have to pay someone to take care of them for me.

5. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

As if being a physics and computer engineering geek wasn't nerdy enough, I was also into planted aquariums years ago. Except I didn't have access to the Amano and ADA equipment so I made my own CO2 generators using yeast and sugar water. Very ghetto.

Amano's Nature Aquarium series make very good coffee table books. I think I have every one of them.

6. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got?

This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.

7. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

Amano's Nature Aquarium series make very good coffee table books. I think I have every one of them.
    They are great coffee table books; I have the first Nature Aquarium World sitting on mine right now. [​IMG]
    Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got? This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.
    ADG and Aqua Forest are both located within the US and sell Amano aquariums, supplies, etc. It's pretty expensive but well designed and good quality. Both the aquariums and equipment, as well as the associated aesthetic in terms of plant growth, arrangement, etc., are quite far removed from the typical plastic goldfish bowl with hot pink gravel, etc. (Or at least it seems that way to me. [​IMG]) I coincidentally got an amazing deal on a brand new 45 centimeter ADA tank last night. I'm looking foward to setting it up but I'm trying to really plan things out carefully before I do so. I've never had an Amano tank before and I want things to go smoothly from the beginning...

8. parham

parham Active Member

I bought my supplies from Jeff down at ADG. Nice guy, very responsive and helpful, as are the internet forums. God bless the internet. Deal on a 45? Very nice. I've only got a Mini-S (UPS says it'll be delivered this morning) and two micro-nanos using glass containers from a home store. The 45 is next once I get the process down. I'd be interested in hearing your proposed setup. I'll be back to post some photos and pics of my setup.

9. parham

parham Active Member

Parham, can we have a link to the tank you got?

This is definitely something I will get into once I move into a larger place. I still have yet to decide if I will salt water or fresh water.

I've got a small place as well, which is why I've got small tanks. Saltwater won't work for me, and I like the color green so there you go....

In my home office I have a 20 gallon long on a salvaged table, which is fairly mature and now houses the livestock as I wait for the nanos to cycle. There are some Bumblebee shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp, Otos, some anonymous snails, and a school of Black Skirt Tetras. The plantings consist of vals and Riccia fluitans attached to rocks; they are pearling nicely. The nanos are planted with Hemianthus and microswords. More details to follow (with pics).

Once the other 3 are set up I'll use the 20 as a breeding tank for Tilapia to go into an outdoor pond. I'm into aquaponics as well, but I'm trying to make everything aesthetically pleasing, with a mix of mid-century and classic pieces (tables, lighting, etc). Then comes CO2 and all that goodness.

I've got a couple of sources of inspiration:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Oh my God, I've never been exposed to this stuff before. I surely can't afford any of Amano's stuff but I'm still ordering the 2008 catalog.

11. ThinkandDrive

ThinkandDrive Well-Known Member

Why did I read the title as "High-end arugula"?

I was all geared up for a luxury salad discussion. [​IMG]

12. Manny Calavera

Went ahead and purchased the catalog for ogling purposes. I think it came out to about $8.50, with free shipping on the item (apparently). I've been pricing smaller tanks and accessories, and it doesn't seem all the unaffordable, unless I'm missing something. Definitely has my interest.

13. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Mr. Amano's picture above would not be out of place in SW&D WAYWT.

14. Manny Calavera

Here are some pictures of the top finishers from the 2007 Aquatic Plants Layout Contest: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The last picture is of the grand prize winning tank.

15. robin

robin Senior member

That's like bonsai.

16. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Are people able is go hunting for their own rocks and wood for aquariums, or do they have to be processed in some way to make them safe for the inhabitants of the aquarium?

17. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

The wood is usually driftwood. You can't just use regular old wood because it will leach tannins into the water and turn it brown (and lower the pH as well).

Rocks are usually safe.

18. parham

parham Active Member

I've collected stones, rocks and other "natural things" for years, never quite knowing why. All of a sudden, they're in every catalog as home accessories.

That said, I agree with bbaquiran, most driftwood is safe after long periods of soaking. A lot of these rocks though are a special type of "seiryu" stones. Nobody knows what they are, but I'm sure you could find something similar in a local creek or from a rock distributor. Just don't use limestone, it won't be pretty.

19. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Is ADA a brand name or a type of hobby/aquarium setup? Are all water plant aquariums called ADA?

20. parham

parham Active Member

Is ADA a brand name or a type of hobby/aquarium setup? Are all water plant aquariums called ADA?

ADA stands for "Aqua Design Amano," and most of their stuff is considered the bee's knees by aquageeks. Some say the quality isn't worth the price, but as far as glass goes they seem the best that we can get in the States. I'm guessing one could easily spend $1000 or more for a 10 gallon all-ADA setup, not including any plants or fish. The substrates, tools, filters etc can be substituted with cheaper alternatives, though I do want to try some of their Aquasoil 'powder'.

These tanks are known as nature aquaria or planted tanks, and there are different styles like "Dutch" and "El Natural" (soil-based). The Japanese versions tend to use zen-like hardscaping patterns borrowed from ikebana and bonsai terrestrial gardens. There are also paludariums and terrariums and vivariums. I'm looking to do a rimless tank setup for some poison dart frogs after the shrimp tanks get going.

Some links:
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/