1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

High Demands of Beauty Here

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mensimageconsultant, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

So much drama in Tokyo.

Tell me about it.

It might provide me with the inspiration to continue that execrable dreck about the muskrats.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

Hey guys-

After reading this topic I am reminded of Brittany Spears song Beautiful..

"I am beautiful, no matter what they say, words cant bring me down"..

I dont like her voice or behavior so much..but the lyrics have a good message for some on the forum [​IMG] .

-Danny Wilson

um, that's christina aguilera. (who incidentally is less white-trashy than britney, IMO.)

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

Tell me about it.

It might provide me with the inspiration to continue that execrable dreck about the muskrats.

ah. i knew there were some issues getting worked out there somewhere. [​IMG]

4. Nantucket Red

ah. i knew there were some issues getting worked out there somewhere. [​IMG]

In all honesty, the whole enterprise was an attempt to beguile stultifyingly boring days in the office, but thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. [​IMG]

5. Rome

Rome Senior member

um, that's christina aguilera. (who incidentally is less white-trashy than britney, IMO.)
    Is it just me or does she have the most unctouos complexion. Whenever I see her on the MTV she looks like she moisturizes with Crisco.

6. Rome

Rome Senior member

An unattractive person might have less sexual prowess due to less practice. At least early in a relationship, which might not continue if the sex is unsatisfying. "Taste" based on physical attractiveness is plausible, as smell is linked to a somewhat subjective form of rated attractiveness.
    Less sexual prowess has little to do with attractiveness and more to do with experience and knowledge of one's body. Ugly is not another word for prudish. Olfactorial attraction has to do with chemical reception which would make it innate. Taste based on attractiveness is plausible but I think it's more of a nurture than nature thing.
    It may be related to insecurity in some cases but it is borne out empirically and even in some studies if I am not mistaken.
    I have no doubt that this as well is intrinsic to the human nature. It's just another yardstick
    A girl with less beauty in the quantifiable sense (i.e. a little chunkier, or a less symmetrical face) is to me, more beautiful than one who has a very symmetrical face but has personal style that is not to my taste. To be honest it really breaks down to, she has to care about her looks, but not too much. Picky? I know. I didn't know the term "beautiful" only applies to the quanitifiable version.
    Well without getting into some Ecoesque dissertation on beauty, it's an intangible abstract with its own propensity for subjectiveness, take for example high art. But for the purposes of this conversation beauty thus far has equaled attractiveness which is quantifiable. I simply posit that taken for example the pictures in the "Attractive Women" thread, most here are in agreement as to their attractiveness, show those pictures to less stylish people than yourselves and you would find the same percentage of plebs would find those same pictures attractive. Beauty as a societal construct is quantifiable. One thing is attractiveness but the psychology of attraction is different.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Indeed, high criteria of beauty. One wouldn't want an ugly person or really, an average person either.

8. Nantucket Red

Indeed, high criteria of beauty. One wouldn't want an ugly person or really, an average person either.

That's my dilemma in a nutshell.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Believe me NR, you're not the only one that deals with that. I meet a lot of girls on a weekly basis (through salsa lessons & clubs), and a lot of them have great personalities but only above average looks. Just last week I met a latino girl that is very sweet and would in all likelihood make a great gf, but I'm hesitating b/c she's not quite as good looking as I'm shooting for. She's a 6.5 and for gf material i'm really looking for 7+. Then again, she speaks 4 languages, could help me practice my spanish and would be very loyal. I'm honestly not a total prick and I really don't like dumping chicks just because of looks which is why i tend not to date them in the first place.

It would be interesting to see what kind of rating scale (if any) the guys here use. Mine is 1-10, with 5 being average. Basically anything below a 6 i wouldn't even consider if i was drunk.

5 = bleh body, average face
    6 = good body, above average face.
    7 = good body, pretty face
    8 = great body, pretty face
    9 = great body, very pretty face
    10 = supermodel territory

a bleh body might have thick legs, larger butt (but not yet chubby), or be pencil thin, etc. It's not fat or chubby though. Those are in the 4 and below categories.

a good body means everything is tight and well proportioned. she might still have a little bit of extra meat on the stomach but it's well within tolerable limits and doesn't look flabby. It's just not perfectly flat, although it could be with a little cardio.

a great body means she's slim and everything is tight. she's 5'8"+ and has b/c cups. Height is a big issue for me. A girl with a really pretty face that might otherwise be an 8 will drop down to a 7 if she's not tall enough.

8 and above qualifies as a knock-out. In percentile terms it would put a woman in to the top 2-3% of attractiveness. A 7 puts her in the top 10%, and a 6 in the top 20%.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Wow, I never got so analytical in my preferences. I either wanted someone or I didn't and it was that simple. No agonizing about things that might have been or never were, we click or we don't.

In my earlier days I've chased a few knockouts who turned out to be completely vacant upstairs and hated the experience. Not that I'm ruling them out tout court, but there's more to it for me than just arm candy.

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Anecdotally, prudish people are somewhat less attractive than others, not just because of how they dress (usually neat, dull, and non-sexual), but probably also because their anti-sexual beliefs are to some extent rationalization.

12. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

I think ambition is sexy. That is usually my initial attraction, and ultimatly what makes compatabliity possible for me. Babes who have no professional direction or ambition, no matter how hot, are never attractive to me.

13. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Wow, I never got so analytical in my preferences. I either wanted someone or I didn't and it was that simple. No agonizing about things that might have been or never were, we click or we don't.

In my earlier days I've chased a few knockouts who turned out to be completely vacant upstairs and hated the experience. Not that I'm ruling them out tout court, but there's more to it for me than just arm candy.

I'm not sure i should be broadcasting this, but even the way a woman walks can turn me off. There was a girl in highschool who was otherwise quite pretty but she had this bounce to her step that really annoyed me. This isn't a big problem for me because so few women exhibit this particular trait but it something that bothers me from time to time.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm not sure i should be broadcasting this, but even the way a woman walks can turn me off.

Yeah, there was this one hot chick with a club foot that she dragged behind her, but I just couldn't make it work, ya know? [​IMG]

It's fair to say that if a person's walk can be a turn-on (witness any number of catwalk models), then it can certainly be a turn-off.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Is it just me or does she have the most unctouos complexion. Whenever I see her on the MTV she looks like she moisturizes with Crisco.

I think This sums it up pretty well:

16. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

I'm not sure i should be broadcasting this, but even the way a woman walks can turn me off. There was a girl in highschool who was otherwise quite pretty but she had this bounce to her step that really annoyed me. This isn't a big problem for me because so few women exhibit this particular trait but it something that bothers me from time to time.

Yet another example of how the nebulous quality of confidence can impact appearance in a measurable way.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Anecdotally, prudish people are somewhat less attractive than others, not just because of how they dress (usually neat, dull, and non-sexual), but probably also because their anti-sexual beliefs are to some extent rationalization.
    Prudish people are usually very homely looking or something of an average to slightly above average physicality.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This has to be the most depressing thread that I have ever read.

19. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    Prudish people are usually very homely looking or something of an average to slightly above average physicality.

First time I've ever noticed a post from you that is inaccurate.

Good luck to all on this thread in finding a mate.

20. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Good luck to all on this thread in finding a mate.

I don't think it's got anything to do with luck. It's a pure numbers game. I'm convinced that I'll ultimately be rewarded by being so picky. I arrived at the specific criteria I use over the period of the last couple years but it's been longer in the making.

Every day I see people that are settling for their mate and it depresses me. I walk around downtown and see men that still look ok physically with women that have gotten overweight (proportionally more than the men) and I can't imagine living like that. I couple that with disasterous consequences that poor choice in women has cost my father, and I really can't see any other way to go about selecting someone other than remaining totally objective for the initial dating period.

I slipped up once when i dated the girl I mentioned earlier in the thread and can say that it would have been a disaster had it worked out. I can see her now at 35 with a beard just like her mother's. After that experience, I vowed not to be swayed by feelings again unless she met specific phyiscal criteria and I could envisage her aging gracefully.