• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

high collar

johnmosby

Reaction score
What is the term for a shirt with a high, unfolded collar? I just saw Tron, a terrible movie, but the actors had a similar collar to what I've wanted for a long time--a high, unfolded collar that comes up off the clavicle and looks very modern. If someone isn't making a shirt or jacket with this design, something is wrong. I've seen similar styles in racer jackets, but the collar needs to come forward a little bit more.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nehru collar

looks great when youre hanging out, sipping gin with the Raj

Jazzop

Reaction score
I've always thought that "Nehru" was a style of jacket, which features a Mandarin collar. When referring only to the collar style, "Mandarin" is probably a more widely used term.

johnmosby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzop
I've always thought that "Nehru" was a style of jacket, which features a Mandarin collar. When referring only to the collar style, "Mandarin" is probably a more widely used term.

Really close. I think maybe some mandarin collars are close enough that I would just go for that, but I want a higher and stiffer collar with a kind of U-shape cut-out. It looks very futuristic but not dorky at all.

Thanks for the help, though. If I can't find exactly what I'm searching for, at least I know something very close.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.