• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hierarchy of Shirting Fabrics

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeking relatively objective information in what is likely a subjective matter, I'm wondering if we could clobber together a list of shirting fabrics in a brief list ( ideally not more than 10 or so) to help me and possibly others expand our knowledge of shirting offerings and quality. Narrowed specifically down to pure cotton, and ideally finer weaves as opposed to coarser oxford clothes, etc...

I can only contribute the little perspective I have based on buying one or two examples of common RTW dress shirts ie, Lora Piana, Borrelli, RLPL, Fray, Kiton etc.I took a shot in the dark ordering a shirt made up of Thomas Mason's shirting recently from ModernTailor, and have been happy with it so far, but it pales in comparison to some of my Borrelli's and one of my Kiton shirts ( andI have no idea what supplier they use for one particular shirt from various styles and seasons) but, I hope to get a better understanding of why the iGents here would place one particular mills shirting higher or lower in the standings. Obviously the 'hand' that the material has, must be the main priority, but do certain weaves or certain thread counts make for a longer lasting shirt? One less prone to becoming more brittle with time? etc..

I saw recently a thread mentioning a maker I think, called Mora, that I've never seen myself. Is there any reasonably close consensus as to top tier shirting makers and why?

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was hoping people would describe specific characteristics about those fabrics they highlight.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alumo and Thomas mason. Alumo has the softest feel and the patterns are very nice for both.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I was hoping people would describe specific characteristics about those fabrics they highlight.

I remember Kabbaz writing something about the best mills but I'm not finding it. You can ask him on AAAC.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is no common consent with a shirting ranking between those makers who use them.

For example we prefer Carlo Riva fabrics as being the best in terms of texture and long term quality.

They have been weaving luxury cottons, linens & cashmeres for a long time and are able to source the finest cotton etc. which is sometimes available only in small amounts. Then they tend to weave slower on old looms which gives them more control over the weaving process.

bloodybrilliant

Reaction score
I'd also would like to know if/where you can order these shirting fabrics online and if it's possible to order just fabrics for 1 or 2 shirts?

Many thanks in advance

Bloody

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonfanti and Atelier Romentino are worth being mentioned, too.

IChen

Reaction score
I'd also would like to know if/where you can order these shirting fabrics online and if it's possible to order just fabrics for 1 or 2 shirts?

Many thanks in advance

Bloody

You'd be better off PM'ing Sam Hober who had posted on top of you for some sites or mills to ask.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton poplin: Alumo Soyella 170
Cotton poplin (winter): Alumo Salvatore Triplo
Cotton Royal Oxford: Albini Thomas Mason Hampton 140s
Cotton/Cashmere: Alumo Cashmerello
Cotton/Linen: DJAnderson Zephyr Lino for poplin or Carlo Riva Lino Oxford for Oxford

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am selling my $$$ stock of Alumo, Riva, Grandi & Rubinelli, Monti and Testa- Romentino, pm me.

Staxxx1

Reaction score

Dandy_dapper

Reaction score
Also check

skin-range-canclini-shirting-cloth.JPG
loving the Stripe Land

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads