Hiding an LCD flat screen TV

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dah328, Jul 6, 2010.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm looking for suggestions on hiding an LCD TV in my living/family room. We watch TV a couple times per week but don't want it to be the centerpiece of the living room. The two options I've managed to find so far are TV lift cabinets such as this one (image below) or some sort of wall-mounted cabinet or frame that hides a wall-mounted LCD. Neither of these options are great since it's pretty obvious in both cases that the piece is hiding a TV. The first option is somewhat more attractive than the second because you don't have to deal with the hassle of wall-mounting your LCD and running the cables through the wall. Is there anything else out there that works better? [​IMG]

2. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

My folks have built-in bookshelves along an entire wall flanking a fireplace. On one side are just standard bookshelves - on the other, there are three sections. The top looks like regular bookshelves, the middle is a large single cabinet for the TV, and the bottom are cabinets with pull-open doors. The bottom hides the cable box, blu-ray, etc. and the TV cabinet has a single sliding panel that slides up to cover the upper bookshelf when the TV is in use, and slides back down to hide the TV when not in use. It works beautifully and looks great, doesn't appear too obvious either. But it's all custom cabinetry and really is predicated on having a wall of books (actually it's a wall of DVDs) so it may or may not work for you.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

My folks have built-in bookshelves along an entire wall flanking a fireplace. On one side are just standard bookshelves - on the other, there are three sections. The top looks like regular bookshelves, the middle is a large single cabinet for the TV, and the bottom are cabinets with pull-open doors. The bottom hides the cable box, blu-ray, etc. and the TV cabinet has a single sliding panel that slides up to cover the upper bookshelf when the TV is in use, and slides back down to hide the TV when not in use. It works beautifully and looks great, doesn't appear too obvious either. But it's all custom cabinetry and really is predicated on having a wall of books (actually it's a wall of DVDs) so it may or may not work for you.
    That's not a bad idea. I have seen some "reversible" media centers such as the one below that look pretty cheesy, but well-designed built-ins could certainly look good.

[​IMG]

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I'll try to take a pic next time I'm over there.

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Try flush mount on the wall. Then you can cover it however you'd like.

6. Maxten

Maxten Senior member

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Besta series from Ikea...Large range of color options.

[​IMG]

Won't be the best quality but I think it looks decent in that "ikea" way.

8. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

That foil covered Ikea stuff is crap. Ask me how I know.

9. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

That foil covered Ikea stuff is crap. Ask me how I know.

How do you know? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

My feeling is to have a pro installation flush with the wall and just let it be what it is.

11. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I had my tv covered with a picture frame. It looked ok but sat 3-4 inches away from the wall. Might look better with the latest thin tvs.

Amini made some really nice cabinets that the TV would rise out of. As cool as it is within a few weeks I would get tired of raising and lowering my TV.

Now I just have it on a nice antique chest and cannot be bothered hiding it.